We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa la lucera apartment complex

Which Calahonda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
playa la lucera apartment complex

we stayed in an apartment in this complex, which is the next one down from dona lola, in April 2013.

It was booked through the letting site HomeAway and the owner lives in Dublin.

There are several apartments rented as holiday apartments in this complex, all using the same photograph of a pool with a palm tree, right on the beach.

It is a gated secure complex, with beautifully maintained grounds and a lovely pool. with secure exit/entrance to the beach.

So far so good, until we got inside! It was a first floor apartment in Block D, accessed by 2 flights of stone stairs.

The aprtment smelled very damp and unpleasant when we arrived, and obviously had not been aired for some time. we know it was occupied in February 2013, but seems to have been empty since then.

The sliding doors onto the balcony were so filthy and encrusted with sea salt etc we couldnt see a thing through them.We had to buy glass cleaner and paper towels and clean them before we could see the sea view. (we also cleaned all pf the other windows as they too were dirty)

Everything felt damp, and though the apartment was superficially clean, toilets, bathrooms, oven, sinks ,beds clean (thank God!), there was a lot of dust on all surfaces, also under the beds where unfortunately we put our cases, and the wardrobes, and the storage heaters were very dusty with balls of fluff. Being asthmatic, this was a problem.

The balcony was dirty, full of dried leaves and dust, and we had to scrub the table and chairs before we could use them.The view from the balcony was very good, with sea view and beach.

Half the lightbulbs didnt work, one of the oven hobs was off, and worse, we had cold showers as there was no way to alter the thermostat on the water heater.

I tried to vacuum up the dust and fluff only to find there was a large hole in the hose, so it was useless, and theere were very few cleaning materials in the aprtment.

After booking, we were asked for 100 euros electricity deposit, which was a first for us, but I was assured it would be refunded if we did not use electricity to excess.

We switched the storage heaters on when we arrived to air the place but subsequently used them only about twice as the weather was very warm.

we also had to leave 50 euros for the cleaner!

we did look for the meters on arrival to take our own readings, but were unable to find them, they must have been in one of the locked cupboards on the ground floor.

On return we returned the keys by registered post at a cost of £7.50 and asked for our refund.

we were constantly fobbed off, then were told to wait till the meters had been read.

Eventually, after 4 months, we were told we would only be refunded 20 euros as we had used 75 euros worth of electricity!!

I questioned this naturally, and asked if the meters were faulty or if we had paid for the February tenancy as well.

we got a snotty email from the owner saying we had upset her cleaner by our remarks and no, we wouldnt get any more back.

we stayed there from 7th April to 20th, it is now 28th August and still nothing refunded.

We have had absolutely no help from Home Away, who say they do not get involved in financial disputes between holidaymakers and owners.

I think this owner must do this regularly, as she had no reviews posted since 2009 which should have sounded alarm bells!

If you are thinking of booking an apartment in this complex, which is beautifully situated for local transport, shops bars and restaurants, be very careful which one you book.

There is a lovely walk along the beach from here to Antonio's bar restaurant, which is right on the beach facing the sea, and serves the most amazing fish dishes and lunch menus. You can then cross the pedestrian bridge and walk along Riviera del sol towards the shops and supermarkets, call into the Plaza bar for a coffee and beer (free wi-fi) and walk under the motorway to arrive back beside Max Beach, 2 minutes from the complex.

This has left us very disappointed and feeling of being "ripped off", but we are going back shortly, albeit to Miraflores, so fingers crossed this apartment will be as advertised.

Has anyone had similar problems?

1 reply
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playa la lucera apartment complex

Hello

I was hoping to get in touch as we are planning on booking one of these apartments and something in my gut is putting me off a particular one. I was hoping we could discuss whether this is the same one! How would it be best to do this?! Did the owner's first name begin with an M?

Thanks

Stephanie

Reply to: playa la lucera apartment complex
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calahonda