We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

My husband and I are taking our daughter and two grandchildren aged 2yrs and 4yrs......going on 40 !! to La Orquidea in May.

Please could anyone tell us what there is to do in the area, we have a car so shall be able to get out and about and luckily we are right outside the kiddies pool so they will love that.

Although I know the coast well its from Marbella to Estepona and I have not visited the Calahonda area since it was a tiny spot on the map.

We will go up to Mijas because it is so sweet and the children will love the donkies but where is the best beach to take them.

Also what restaurants are good in Calahonda for both adults and children, they are not fast food eaters and do like to try most things.

Is there a riding school that can accomodate a four year old?? we would like to take him riding for the first time also anything that you think the family and ourselves would be interested in we would like to hear about. All input would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Squiggs

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

You have posted on the Calahonda in on the Costa Tropical forum which is up near Motril in the opposite direction to the other Calahonda which I know well and is knowns Sitio de Calahonda.

<We will go up to Mijas because it is so sweet and the children will love the donkies but where is the best beach to take them.> The best beach by far is Puerto Cabopino, which is just up the coast a little way towards Marbella, or La Cala, towards Fuengirola. There is also a market at La Cala on Wednesday and Saturdays which is good.

<Also what restaurants are good in Calahonda for both adults and children, they are not fast food eaters and do like to try most things.>

In Calahonda itself there are lots of varied restaurants, your apartment is up in the hills a bit so you will need a car to get down to the strip or to El Zocco where there are some excellent restaurants which cater for all ages and types of food. Our favourite is La Mandaragor and we always go there for special occasions. I can also recommend the Palm Tree that is at Club Calahonda (its not inside the grounds so is open to everyone). It has entertainment and good food and Antonio the owner is brilliant.

<Is there a riding school that can accomodate a four year old?? we would like to take him riding for the first time also anything that you think the family and ourselves would be interested in we would like to hear about. All input would be most appreciated.> There is a riding school at La Cala - http://www.calademijas.com/Sports.html but I'm not sure its suitable for a 4 year old, you will need to contact them to check.

I would also recommend a trip to the Biopark at Fuengirola (there is a car park next door to it) and Selwo Marina and Paloma Park in Benalmaden where rabbits and chickens run free through the park. Your little ones will love it.

Have to say that Calahonda's own beach leaves a lot to be desired but there are rock pools there that the children may like to play in.

Here is a link to the local website which may help http://www.calahondaeuc.com/index_eng.php

Although Calahonda for many is thought of as a big urbanisation and lacking character, it is where we spent our first holiday in Spain when we bought our timeshare and we look on it as our 2nd home.

If you need any more help let me know.

Chris

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

Thank you so much for your information, I never realised that there was another Calahonda, I must remember to put the Sitio in front next time.

I think we will head for Cabopino beach as it looks quite nice and also try La Cala.

I think the children may be a bit blase about animals as we have just spent this last week taking them to various parks etc also ''The Deep'' in Hull. Never know though they may have forgotten by the time we go away and it will all be new again.

Thank you for your restaurant suggestions, the Palm Tree sounds like a definite and I am sure as you say we will find many others.

Must remember not to go to the beach at Calahonda.

Thank you for your info

Cheers

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

You're welcome, I know that there are probably a lot of people who only consider Calahonda a drive through place on the way to Marbella but we like it.

Chris

Sitio de Calahonda...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

Hello

Just to say that you should take the children to La Cala. The beach is great for little ones and also there is a wonderful pirate ship for them to clamber over and around.

There is also a children's playground just a little way up the hill from Orquidea.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

I agree, its a lovely beach and I forgot about the children's playground.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

I now realise that the post from La Orquidea is from John whom we rented from, thank you and also Ceejayblue. Calahonda sounds as though its going to make a wonderful family holiday for us. Away from the hustle and bustle but within driving distance of most things. The grand children are both ''giddy'' about going on holiday and I dont know how we are going to keep them contained over the next six weeks??

Thank you for all your suggestions

Squiggs x

7. Re: What to do in Calahonda...arriving 24th May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Calahonda