We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

I've spent all day on this and really need advice. We're an older (42, 43) year old couple with a two-year old daughter and a car looking to base ourselves somewhere along the beach / coast. We want to stay in one place for about a week - 10 days and use the car to get around both on and off the coast, so we need parking. My husband would rather NOT stay outside of one of the major towns in a quiet locale because he wants to be near things to do, i.e. not bored, which I think means a place that's amenable to nighttime strolls. I've read so many blogs and threads that I have a headache. I get that Malaga may be too busy/urban, maybe Marbella is too stuffy for toddlers, maybe Nerja is too far off and overrated, but I'm still unclear about my other options. Where do the kids go?

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Forgot to mention the critical detail: We're on a budget, want to spend less than 100E/day and will be in the area during the first two weeks of June.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Scoutings:

Torremolinos is quite popular and has good beaches. The Bajondillo Beach has a playground for children.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Benalmadena has many of the coast attractions on its doorstep. www.tivoli.es , www.selwomarina.es is the dolphinarium, there is sealife at the marina too. Paloma Park is free and has rabbits chickens running free, emu and mountain goats to look at. There is also a good play area with rubberised floors. There is a new pay park in Arroyo that opens this week too. Loads of free parking around Paloma Park area and many of the side streets along Palm Tree Ave.

The Bali hotel is usually reasonably priced and is ideal for families. Your budget may go further with an apartment rental as there are many meal and drink offers throughout the resort. Try www.holidaylettings.co.uk or www.homeaway.co.uk for instance.

Heres a good Benalmadena guide http://www.benalmadena-arroyo.com/index.php

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Have a look at the La Carihuela district of Torremolinos, enormous beach (safe water) with lots of activities for kiddies, and the village behind is completely pedestrianised so is ideal for those with toddlers in buggies. A very short hop from the airport too, so no transfer hassles, and more restaurants and chiringuitos than you could possibly need - all of which welcome youngsters so the parents actually get an enjoyable evening out as well!

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Thanks for the suggestions. It does seem like being in Torremolinos close to Carihuela is our best bet, but I can't find any reasonably-priced (<900 USD for a week) oceanfront vacation rentals that are larger than a studio. Honestly, I can't even find one for more or holidaylettings, homeaway, or even owners direct. I have two questions: 1) any idea if there are other sites that list vacation rentals in the area (or even a travel agency there), and 2) do any of these ocean-front rentals include parking, or am I crazy for asking?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Try the Sol Timor apartments on www.melia.com. On the site you can join the Melia rewards programme for free, this will give you discounted prices. The Sol Timor has Studio, one bed and two bed apartments with large grounds and pool which are directly adjacent to the pedestrian paseo and beach. The grounds are "Flintstones" themed - fun for kids of all ages.

You will be beside the Marina in Benalmadena, and a 15 minute slow stroll along the pedestrian only paseo to La Cariheula with all its restaurants and shops.

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Thank you so much for the advice!

Puerto de la...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

Duquesa area could meet your needs. It´s not busy, has things to do and see, it is great for children and it is well below 100 euros per night in june. As you will be moving around with a car you can visit Sotogrande, Gibraltar, Ronda, Casares, Tarifa, Estepona, Jimena de la Frontera, etc, etc

9. Re: Where do the kids go? Where 2 stay on beach w/ toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 13, 2014