We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smugglers train to Ronda

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Smugglers train to Ronda

We are staying in El Faro, near Fuengirola, and have booked 2 nights in Ronda. Can someone advise on the Smugglers Train. Where do we get it from etc, is it from Algeciras or is there somewhere closer to Fuengiorla we can get it from? Have found it difficult to find info on the internet. Thanks

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

you need to get it from Algeciras or La Linea/San Roque to Ronda.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Map of train lines in Andalucia :

http://www.renfe.com/docs/andalucia_MD.pdf

If you do not have a car then probably best to take a bus to Algeciras. The bus terminal is just across the street from the railway station.

If by car then you can choose one of the stations nearer such as Los Barrios or San Roque.

The railway line and stations are marked on excellent Google Maps. This shows the general direction and timings.

http://goo.gl/maps/8hCc8

The actual stations on this route are :

ALGECIRAS , LOS BARRIOS , SAN ROQUE-LA LINEA , ALMORAIMA , JIMENA DE LA FRONTERA, SAN PABLO (APD) , GAUCIN , CORTES DE LA FRONTERA , JIMERA DE LIBAR , BENAOJAN-MONTEJAQUE ,

ARRIATE and RONDA

If using a bus to Algeciras you can always take a bus from Ronda to Fuengirola.

Edited: 5:31 pm, March 12, 2013
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

I'd never heard of this train route so had to look it up. It looks like a great trip. We were going to visit Ronda on the train from Malaga City but as we'll be in Estepona the first week in September we will have a look at driving into La Linea and getting the train from there. Will add it to our list of things to do.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Its been on my list for a couple of years CJ, becoming a reality in May as we are staying 2 nights in Ronda. I will report back. Cadizlover has been a great help among others.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

The scenery is terrific but you have to be in the right seat to really enjoy it.

On the right hand side of the train facing towards Ronda. This also applies if you do the trip the other way, as I did, from Ronda.

The bit between San Roque and Algeciras is the very definition of naf so if you can get on/off at San Roque it is much better. It also knocks off at least an hour in travelling time through industrial mess if you are based inFuengirla.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

We are travelling from Ronda, Manzana. is there sufficient to do in San Roque to pass a couple of hours before the return journey to Ronda, or are we better to travel on to Algeciras? Thanks for the tip re:seats.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Problem with the stations along this section of line is that they are mostly built away from the actual town / village bearing the name. I once discovered this by taking the train from Algeciras to Cortes de la Frontera and found the station in the valley and the town several kms high up in the hills. This is especially so with Gaucin where the station is actually in El Colmenar which is a really nice cut off hamlet next to some stunning forests (Cork oaks - Alcornacales) . Walkers use the train for exploring the valley and some good itineraries along its length. If doing the train journey one way from Ronda to Algeciras then it is quite possible to then walk over to the San Bernardo bus station for transport along the coast. Either towards Cadiz or towards Malaga.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Thanks very much for the information Cadiz lover- most helpful.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Have just seen in the Olive Press that Michael Portillo is recording one of his Great Railway Journeys of the world on this line. Will look forward to seeing the programme when its broadcast. If you go to the online version there is link on the right handside of the page that links to the current edition and the report is in there

theolivepress.es/spain-news/…

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smugglers train to Ronda

Have to say Michael Portillo's recent rail journeys using the 1913 Bradshaws European Rail guide was outstanding. Especially as I had done a number.

Being a steam man did not know this route, will have to give it a go. My claim to fame is I have travelled on the foot plate of both the Flying Scotsman and Mallard under full steam and many others at Philadelphia when under restoration, this is in County Durham of course.