We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

items/foods permitted in checked luggage

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
29 reviews
items/foods permitted in checked luggage

Hi,

We're staying in a villa shortly and would like to take some food items with us to cut costs and save a bit of hassle buying stuff when we're there...so... does anyone know what foods are / are not permitted?

I know dairy and meat products aren't permitted. It's mostly dried food that we're considering taking.

I've looked on a few airline websites, but only mention dangerous items, knives etc. Does anyone know where I can find the info I need?

Edited: 10:42 am, August 24, 2010
Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

You're OK with foodstuff in the suitcase providing it's only for personal consumption.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

You can take what ever you want in regards to food, especially dried foods in your checked luggage, but you shouldn't have any problem finding a grocery store to stock up on.

We sometimes include a cheese knife and a cork screw in checked luggage so we don't have to buy them when we arrive, but I have a large collection of corkscrews from the times I've forgotten to pack them.

Greater London...
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
13,618 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

Personally I can't see the point in taking foods, unless you have a dietary need. You can buy everything in Spain and it saves weighing down your case with unnecessary stuff.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

I confirm, as pavoreal at #1.

'I know dairy and meat products aren't permitted.' - Not so.

You may take whatever you want, as long as it is for your own use.

See first paragraph here - iatatravelcentre.com/ES-Spain-customs-curren…

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

Suggest you just pack as Robert says the corkscrew, nothing worse then stocking up wth wine on the way from the airport and finding no corkscrew to hand, and be unable to have your first drink whilst you unpack. Can ruin your holiday, once had to borrow a bradawl from the handyman in the early hours to open a bottle, without his assistance, would have been sleeping on the sun beds.

As stated you can buy everything on arrival, have self catered for 50 years never gone short yet (apart from corkscrew)

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

Hi, Thanks to those who answered my question, I'll have a look at the IATA website too.

I know that food can be bought there as we've self catered several times before. But some foods are cheaper here, plus it saves some time being in the supermarket. Plus we pack light, so may as well make the most of the unused weight.

7. Re: items/foods permitted in checked luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 23, 2011