We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on best airport for PSM

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on best airport for PSM

We're planning our next holiday in PSM and wondered if there were any advantages/disadvantages to flying into Seville or Gibraltar? We're in NW england so flights from London are not an option, only Liverpool, Manchester, East Mid etc.

This will be our first time to Costa de la Luz. It looks an amazing region. We hope to visit Cadiz, Jerez and Seville (poss Arcos or Chiclana too). Any other suggestions? We're only there for 2 weeks in June and have 2 young children, so trying to pick out the highlights rather than cram everything in! We are foodies who love spanish music/dance and horses ...

Any replies would be very much appreciated!

Gracias!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on best airport for PSM

Plan well in advance ! Good plan. At the moment the nearest airport is at Jerez but unfortunately it is not well supported by UK flights except Ryanair has had some flights from Stansted so maybe it is an option. Of course it is too early to book or even know what the schedule is looking like for June next year.

Seville makes sense because driving from the airport via the ring road and then down the Autopista AP-4 is fairly quick and easy (small toll about €5 at Las Cabezas) . Also El Puerto is on the main rail (an bus) route from Seville to Cadiz so moving about is easy.

El Puerto town is on the river so you can take a ferry over to Cadiz either the slow boat or the faster catamaran. Both are good. And of course you have many places to explore from El Puerto and many options of good beaches to drive to. By the way, the beach bars generally open around the middle of June - always useful if you are staying a long time on a beach.

Arcos and the coast past Chiclana including Conil etc are well worth visiting. The Puerto tourism people are very good so you can always ask them for any specifics nearer the time. http://www.turismoelpuerto.com/

Edited: 12:40 pm, July 06, 2011
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on best airport for PSM

Just thinking again about your question - Seville versus Gib ? Gibraltar may also be a good choice if the airline times etc are good. The airport is just over the border from Spain. As a matter of interest tere is a new airport building going up now which will make the entire process of using the airport from the Spanish side very much easier. That is if politics does not get in the way and the opening is stalled.

In the meantime you deplane and need to get from the airport to Spain which is a matter of 200 yards walk and at La Linea you find the car rental place and the car. I believe this is the easiest way and is the method I have used in the past. The route up to Puerto is along a nice dual carriageway A-381 which has some lovely scenery.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on best airport for PSM

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I do tend to plan in advance 1) to have something to look forward to and 2) because I'm a mild control freak!

It's good to know that both airports are a viable option. We'll be hiring a car at the airport. Travel times look similar, so I'll choose based on best prices and flight times. Small toll doesn't matter from Seville and sounds like an interesting system in Gib.

Useful tip about the beach bars opening and also a great link, thanks so much!

4. Re: Advice on best airport for PSM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about El Puerto de Santa...