We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cordoba or Ronda?

Tampa, FL
7 posts
Cordoba or Ronda?

We will be travelling to Spain and have an extra night in our itinerary. I am trying to decide between Cordoba for a one night stay and visit or Ronda for a night. Cordoba would be 1 night between Madrid and Granada or Ronda, 1 night between Granada and Seville. There is really not enough time to visit any of the other Andalucia area (small towns) other than Ronda, so is it really worth the extra travel time by car? If we don't see the area between Granada and Seville, will we be missing a part of the countryside and getting only the "city" glimpse of Spain?

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
1. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

I 'm not totally sure of your itinerary here. If you are visiting Madrid, Granada and Seville already then it would be nice to see Ronda and the countryside for a change.

Cordoba is fabulous but for an all round view of this region in Spain, you will enjoy the mall villages en-route. You ony need 1/2 day for Ronda, it's not very big, so you could just drive through a few pueblos to get a feel, take in the vies and countyside etc. before reaching Seville.

Tampa, FL
7 posts
2. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

My itinerary is the following: flying into Madrid, 2 nights, day trip to Toledo and either travel to Cordoba and spend one night before heading to Granada or go to Granada from Toledo, spend 2 nights then go to Ronda for 1 night on the way to Seville (for 1 night). I will then be flying to Barcelona for 2 nights before heading to London for three nights.

So where should I stay for that one night I am missing? If I see Ronda only as a daytrip versus staying. I have booked the Parador there for one night but also have a hotel in Cortona until I decide what to do. Or should I spend 2 nights in Seville instead of 1? Yikes!!! Decisions!!!

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
3. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

That's a great trip! Very tiring though, you'll need a holiday when you return!

In that case, I'd take Ronda as a day trip only and have 2 nights in Seville. Allow yourself 1/2 day to stroll around Ronda.

Tampa, FL
7 posts
4. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

You are right! I'm sure I will. Thank you so much for your advice!

Tampa, FL
7 posts
5. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

Okay, I have another question. I was previously considering travelling from Madrid to Cortona by AVE train then driving to Granada, but now if I cut out Cortona, that would leave me travelling from Toledo to Granada. That 5 hour trip doesn't sound all that exciting however.

What is the best mode of transportation from Toledo to Granada (bus or car, I am sure not train) and is that the best route versus going Cortona then Granada??? or another route.

Thank you!

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
6. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

Sorry, I can't help with that as I don't use the trains - I like the freedom of a car and open road. 5 hours isn't unexciting if you make it last a full day and stop off at places of interest en-route. If it was me I'd be away at 5.30 am and take my time, breakfast, lunch and dinner at different towns.

Hopefully someone can assist who has experience of the trains.

Good luck and safe travels!

Tampa, FL
7 posts
7. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

Great to know about the car. That's the way we'll go then! Thanks for all your help!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

I have taken the train to Granada and it is much faster than driving in the car, especially if you take the AVE train. You're going to spend a lot of time just in the car driving when the train is easier and faster since it looks like you don't have much time. I would only use a car to visit out of the way places, like Ronda, that would be more difficult by train. Remember to reserve your tickets for the Alhambra in Granada ahead of time.

Happy travels!

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
9. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

That's very true. It all depends on how much you like driving.

My thoughts would be that I'm spending all my days in cities so a couple of days on the road in between would give an opportunity to discover and see more of Spain. Even if it is only driving through.

I've toured by car on many occasions, train is A to B asap but car

is freedom. More tiring yes and more time consuming, but for me more rewarding, however I do like driving and setting of very early is the key.

Both options have their own merits - only you can decide what suits.

Whatever you decide have a great time, your visiting THE great cities of Spain, it doesn't get much better than that.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Cordoba or Ronda?

In my opinion Cordoba is far more worth seeing than Ronda. Real Spain and one of the most fascinating - and pedestrian friendly - of its cities.