We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter stay in Spain

Letchworth, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winter stay in Spain

Hello

We want to spend Nov/Dec/Jan in Spain this year but can't decide on the best area for 2 adults and 1 dog.

We would like weather warm enough to stroll along the beach, to play golf and to go diving. We don't speak Spanish but will try and would rather not be surrounded by Brits. We would like to be near shops/bars/restaurants and perhaps a hotel with a gym/pool we could use.

We are considering Costas Almeria, Calida, Tropical.

Any tips, information and recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you

Ireland
Level Contributor
987 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter stay in Spain

I have spent several winters in Spain. There are several things to consider-

1. Do I need a car. A car can be handy, obviously, but what if I dont bring one?

2. How far walking distance to the nearest supermarket, restaurants, shops? A house up in the mountains might not be what you want.

3. Accessibility:- How far nearest airport?

4. Walks on the level might be important. Likewise with more difficult walks.

5. Ensure there is a pharmacy near that opens in the off season.

6. Will you need an English speaking doctor?

7. A tv service with BBC+ITV might be a "must" - contact with English speaking people and Spaniards should be considered also.

Span can be a rewarding place in which to spend the winter months.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter stay in Spain

San Juan De Los Terreros is a hidden coastal resort and a hidden gem.

It is the old part of spain, low rise buildings, golden beaches and a micro climate due to surrounding mountains.

Be careful however as whilst the spanish are very accomodating in restaurants and bars etc of dogs they don't allow them on the beaches (although in winter some do take them on the more remote beaches).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter stay in Spain

Busby:

Roquetas de Mar would be a good place.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter stay in Spain

Hi, the Costa almeria would be perfect. We have a house in a village called Palomares. The village has a fantastic beach, some shops and restaurants and, although there are some Brits there, the locals are mostly Spanish.

You would be near to Desert Springs Golf Resort which is a fabulous course and has great practice facilities.

My husband runs a golf school that uses the resort and customers find that a great way to meet new people.

Check out his website europeangolfschools.co.uk for more information.

Hope you find the right place and have a great three months.

Ireland
Level Contributor
987 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter stay in Spain

Hey Doll,

It was last winter the OP wanted the holiday. I know you meant well.

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter stay in Spain

From spending many years living in Spain it is very rare to find restaurants which will allow a dog inside but it is normally okay if you are seating outside.

7. Re: Winter stay in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Almeria
Recent Conversations