We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city would be best to use as our base?

Burlington, ON
Level Contributor
89 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which city would be best to use as our base?

We are planning a trip to Spain next spring. We will spend the first week between Barcelona and Madrid. The second week we want to spend in Andalucia. We plan to use public transit instead of renting a car. Which city would be best to use as our base for the week if we want to see Seville, Cordoba, Granada and Malaga? We would prefer to base ourselves in one location and take day trips instead of always changing hotels.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,619 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

Really it is best to just bite the bullet and travel light and stay in Seville and Granada or Malaga. The only place that I can think of to make your dream of using public transport between these cities possible easily is Antequera and even then you are faced with a 3 hours sitting on a train to go to Granada and back and same for Seville. But it is certainly a good base for reaching Cordoba and Malaga.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

Antequera is certainly an excellent base, because of its geographical position: it is indisputably central.

Other good options, for the same reasons, are Malaga and Cordoba.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

Portia:

For train travel read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Also read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

Edited: 12:34 am, August 26, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

The problem you have is staying in one city. I know it is a bore changing cities but if you were to start in Malaga and see Granada and Córdoba and then take a bus to Seville for Cordoba,if you didn't do it from Málaga, and Cadiz (always left off these lists and I don't know why).

I love bus travel (really very comfortable coaches) and my suggestion would be to use the route via Fuengirola/Marbella etc because you would see the coast, albeit from a bus seat, and then go over the Sirrea de las Nieves via Ronda to Seville. It means the journey is not a case of getting from A to B but a day of sightseeing and discovery in itself.

If you choose to stay in one place you will probably be spending more time travelling anyway. Andalucia is pretty big.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

As suggested by others, I'd make it two cities so as to avoid 'day trips'with 6 or 8 hours travel time. Personally I loved Sevilla. Haven't been to Málaga or Córdoba unfortunately. Granada was a bit of a disappointment for me after Sevilla.

Don't forget to visit spectacular Ronda! http://bit.ly/15cL2FZ

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Edited: 11:28 am, August 26, 2013
6. Re: Which city would be best to use as our base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 28, 2014