We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

west vancouver
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

My husband and I will be driving from Ronda to Seville by way of Gibraltar and plan to stop one night en route. We are considering both Cadiz and Jerez de la Fronterra. Any thoughts???

Thanks

On the go 32

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

Personally I love Cádiz city. As Ronda (gorgeous) is inland and Sevilla (amazing) is on the banks of the Rio Guadalquivar, Cádiz with its harbour and beaches and old town would be a little different.

Saludos. Lindsay

west vancouver
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

Muchas Gracias, Lindsay

Ann

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

De nada Ann.

You have quite a long drive the day you move from Ronda to, say, Cádiz via Gibraltar (about 146 miles) . Do you have a specific reason behind the visit to Gibraltar? I would recommend leaving the car on the Spanish side at La Linea de la Conceptión as finding space on Gib can be time consuming. There is metered parking on the right hand side of the road as you drive towards the border, it is a walk of perhaps a mile to the border then you can either get a bus, taxi or walk the rest of the way into town. Crossing the airstrip is quite an experience especially if any of the RAF jets are landing at the time. Remember comfy shoes and your passport, it is required.

One other thing to consider is your currency. On Gib they will accept euros, pounds sterling and Gib pounds. If you use euros it will be at a rate which benefits the shopkeepers, British pounds are okay and Gib pounds if you lift them from an ATM are only of any use to you on Gib so beware and if you choose that option do not lift more than you actually need.

Enjoy your trip.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 3:23 am, February 25, 2013
west vancouver
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

Hola, Lindsay

My husband wants to see Gibraltar. He is a wonderfully easy person to travel with and usually I do all the planning but every now and then he has something that he really wants to see. The new Globe Theater in London was one of those. So, Gibraltar it is.

We plan to make an early start from Ronda and head directly for Gibraltar.

Thanks for the information about leaving the car. I had read about that in general terms, but the details are helpful. I did read somewhere that it was a good idea to get a taxi and have the driver take you on a tour of the area. We will have Euros but I don't think we will want to shop other than having lunch so I guess we can stand the "premium".

You mention a mile walk from where we park the car. Is there any alternative to that or can we not get a taxi until we reach the border. I ask because, although we are pretty fit, we are both in our early 80s and like to save our walking for places we really want to explore!

Many thanks

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

¡Hola Ann!

There is a sandy car park a little nearer the border on the same side of the road but it is probably still quite a hike. The problem is that the main road divides into through traffic and Gib bound traffic, the Gib bound traffic then moves slowly around a road which has been laid out to hold the queuing vehicles approaching the frontier. At busy times it can take quite a time to get over to Gibraltar and I can't say that I have noticed Spanish taxis crossing over. Immediately you cross the border there are public transport buses and taxis.

Another suggestion might be to take your car over to Gibraltar, the first building you pass on the left hand side is the airport terminal. There is a small car park on the right hand side which is supposed to be for people using the airport, it is a pay-and-display car park but I don't suppose anyone would know that you were not going into the airport. Here you could pick up a local taxi or service bus. The local taxi drivers are always touting for business, 'Tour the Rock' and that type of thing. We have only every went over to Gib to get the family's supply of perfume and aftershave and perhaps a meal. My husband likes a mooch about a small old fashioned book shop but that is about all. I have not been 'up the rock' as the apes are really not my thing. We did take the car over the first time we went to Gib and parked in a sandy car park which lies between Queensway Road and Line Wall Road, if memory serves me right there are some stairs up from the car park onto Line Wall Road at the top of which there are some ancient mounted canons.

You don't say when you are going. If it is in the height of summer I would seriously consider taking the car over as it can be very hot walking from La Linea across the border. As you actually have to walk across the airstrip you are without protection from the sun for quite a distance.

There is a lot more to Gibraltar than I have seen, but my hubby tends to hurry us all along even though I am not a shopper. I do all my wandering with the car in the Province of Cádiz, I love visiting the villages, having a bit of lunch and meandering my way home.

If you take the car over it would be a good idea to fill the tank as Gib is a good bit cheaper for fuel than mainland Spain. If you pay similar to the USA for fuel you will get a shock at the price of fuel in Europe. Spain is cheaper than Britain, our in town service stations are currently charging around 1.37 to 1.39 (GBP) per litre.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 6:00 pm, February 25, 2013
6. Re: Where to stay: Cadiz or Jerez de la Fronterra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 27, 2014