We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice

New York, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice

so, my husband and i are travelling to spain the first week of December. We will be flying in and out of Madrid but want to spend most of our time in Andalusia. We are 30/32 yrs old...want a combo of city, relax, etc. We were thinking of spending 2 nights in Madrid, 2 nights in Seville and 2 nights in Granada...we still have 3 days left! Should we go to Cadiz or Marbella? it's december though?! we were thinking of doing a day-trip to tangiers? should we stay at any paradors in the country? any advice would be very helpful!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,776 posts
3,778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice

Sara:

The extra 3 days you have left, you can spend in Malaga or Marbella (if you have a car). We have the best weather in Spain during December and winter. You do not have enough time to see Tangiers, when there are so many places you can see in Malaga, such as our white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja.

The parador in Granada is the most popular, but it is very difficult to get reservations there. I have stayed at many paradors, but all of them are in old buildings and they may have small rooms. Their prices are also higher than modern hotels, so you have to pay for their atmosphere. I prefer modern hotels with all their conveniences.

If you want to see the Alhambra in Granada, buy your tickets ahead of time. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Also read Best Sights of Andalusia in TA.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
472 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary advice

I'd consider limiting it to three cities total. That still only gives you two full days in each city which is barely enough time to start getting a real sense of the place and relaxing a bit. Out of those that have been mentioned so far Madrid and Seville would be at the top of my list.

San Sebastián
Level Contributor
85 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary advice

I wouldn´t go neither Cádiz (fantastic but far) nor Marbella (maybe you are very lucky and can go to the beach but remember it is December. If you like, you can go to the beaches in Granada). As I always recommend, I would stop a day in Cordoba (at least one morning or afternoon) if it is possible. I also prefer a good hotel than the Paradors.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary advice

I would spend at least 3 nights in Sevilla and 2 in Granada. Cadiz might not be as good weather wise as Malaga so I might go there for one night (the old part of town). I would skip Tangier and Marbella. 3 nights in Madrid is also a good aount of time.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary advice

these are all such great recommendations! thank you. i guess i should start looking into malaga! thank you...

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary advice

Benny & Cuthbert always have great info but I would toss out a word of caution about your proposed itinerary: it doesn't seem like there is time for relaxing! When you factor in the travel time you are cutting things tight and will be very busy. I would at least consider adding another night in Madrid and then perhaps Malaga. I love Ronda and Cordoba is great - but with your schedule it makes either another hurdle. The AVE train makes travel between Madrid-Sevilla-Malaga (as well as Cordoba) fast and easy but I sense you will be spending a fair amount of time traveling rather than enjoying Spain.

bedfordshire uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary advice

Hi, it's definitely worth including Cordoba in your itinery. It's about half way between Seville and Granada

8. Re: itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2010