We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 2 weeks northern Spain with 4 small children?

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary 2 weeks northern Spain with 4 small children?

Hello there.

We want to spend 2 weeks, coming in and out of Madrid, exploring Spain to the North. It's an area that my husband and I don't know at all, and it would be so helpful to have any suggestions.

We will hire a car, and then were thinking of spending a day or two in Madrid, before heading north - possibly via Valladolid, and up to the Atlantic coast. We would like to explore, but at the same time, we want to avoid subjecting the kids to too many long hot hours in the car. (They are 3, 6, 8 and 10). My loose plan is to book a villa somewhere with a pool, and ideally near to a nice beach (any suggestions?) We would then spend 3 or 4 days driving there, and seeing thinsg on the way, and then spend a week in one place - but ideally somewhere where we can do more than sit on a beach - somewhere with nice towns to visit etc within easy reach for a day trip - and then another few days pottering back to Madrid.

My questions really are:

- Where are the MUST SEE places up to the north? San Sebastian? Bilbao? or the other way? Olviedo? Gijon? A Coruna? Or can we fit in everything?

- where would be a good place to base ourselves for a week in the middle?

- What would be a nice itinerary, without spending too much time in the car?

Also - Is the weather very hot at this time of the year? I have read that it can be quite rainy throughout the rest of the season, but in July and August are we pretty much guaranteed good weather, or can it still be wet?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you!

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,130 Reviews
from $45.40*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
680 Reviews
from $113.33*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,531 Reviews
from $35.80*
1. Re: Itinerary 2 weeks northern Spain with 4 small children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2016