We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Heat and Traffic

madison, ct
4 posts
Save Topic
August Heat and Traffic

I am planning my first trip to Spain next August and I keep reading about the horrible heat, traffic and summer crowds. I plan on staying in Barcelona and traveling down the coast to Andalusia region. Planning on driving so concerned about traffic. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Heat and Traffic

ozzie:

Yes, the heat in August is not good. You may not want to drive. You can take the train. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Heat and Traffic

I have driven regularly down the coast road from France to Peniscola and on to Valencia in August and have not found it bad except for afternoons skirting Barcelona when there has been heavy traffic.

The A7 is a toll motorway that runs the length of Spain and is fast and good.

In the north it runs Parallel to the N340 and I think N332 after Valencia which was the original road . This is not toll . Therefore a lot of lorries and local transport take this and not the A7 . In fact the Spanish authorities ban lorries from the A7 on certain weekends in the peak season. I don't think you would find it bad.

As for heat . Yes it can be hot . It was exceptional this year at about 95 (33)but you soon get used to it and enjoy it

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,323 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Heat and Traffic

ozzie:

Read the Driving Guide for Foreigners.

4. Re: August Heat and Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 14, 2013