We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

Need advice, Cordoba or Granada

I am struggling with how to get back to Madrid (where our flight leaves) from Lagos Portugal. I would like to stop over in Cordoba or Granada on the way back. I have been to Seville before, so I know I would need to take a 3-4 hour bus to Seville/Huelva from Lagos, and then another train to either place.

Granada (my first choice) is a 3 hour train Seville, and then we would need to take another 5 hour train back to Madrid. My husband says this is crazy and too much travel. Has anyone made this journey? Are buses and trains in Europe just as bad as a plane?

To Cordoba the trip is a little better. Only 3 hour bus To Huelva and 2.5 hours to Cordoba, and only 1.5 hours back to Madrid.

Any advice is appreciated:)

Thanks

Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
725 Reviews
from $111.28*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,169 Reviews
from $44.50*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,545 Reviews
from $35.20*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

I would take the www.eva-bus.com Lagos to Huelva, then the excellent

Spanish train service onwards to Cordoba and Madrid www.renfe.es

You can lodge your luggage at Corboba train station, and outside the station take the local bus to the Magnificent Mesquita.

www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba.htm

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

Thanks. I think I am planning to stay a few nights in Cordoba too. Then I can head first thing in the a.m. To Madrid.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

Hotels www.venere.com

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

We rented a car in Madrid 4 yrs. ago and drove to Granada. Ronda and Seville. Roads were very good and driving style much like in the U.S. We are planning to drive within the area again, only this time we will stop in Cordoba and then proceed to Ronda and Granada. Parking was free at our Ronda hotel (on the st. right in front of the hotel) and cost very little at our Granada hotel, but that can depend upon your hotel. For us, renting a car is costing less than train tickets but gas will make the cost similar. Also, we are helped somewhat by free CDW ins. provided by our credit card. Just an idea but each mode of transportation has it's advantages.

Edited: 1:56 am, July 19, 2012
Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

Thanks, a car would be great but probably too expensive coming from Portugal. I appreciate the suggestion.

6. Re: Cordoba or Granada and too much travel time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 21, 2013