We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express acceptance

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
American Express acceptance

Hi,

Out of interest has American Express acceptance improved over the last few years in Spain? I've found it much improved in the UK, France and Australia over the last few years. Also are Spain still doing that stupid thing where you type in your pin and they still make you sign the receipt?

Best Seller
Barcelona Sagrada Familia and Museum...
3,130 Reviews
from $45.40*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona with...
680 Reviews
from $113.33*
Best Seller
Barcelona City Sightseeing Hop-On...
2,531 Reviews
from $35.80*
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Express acceptance

Also it is accepted in most major supermarkets etc?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Express acceptance

In most of Europe, AMEX acceptance is still spotty in my opinion. There is a significant amount of restaurants and smaller stores that don't take AMEX that you should always have another piece of plastic plus means of getting cash.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Express acceptance

AMEX acceptance would increase in Europe if AMEX lower their usage fees to the merchants. Small business just can't afford it. Fortunately, around here most business do not belong to big corporations (let's see how long they last :((... )

I'm not sure about the "stupid thing". In my experience (using cards every day) you type in your pin OR you sign the receipt. Never was asked for the two. A different issue is when the system does not recognize your pin (may happen with foreign cards)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Express acceptance

Is it accepted at the supermarkets and petrol stations though?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Express acceptance

Not in the ones I use.

6. Re: American Express acceptance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 17, 2013