We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

We rented a car with Goldcar for our Menroca holiday, cheapest price and it seemed legit.

On arrival to the airport, I saw all the usual car rental companies had offices (Hertz, Avis, etc) but not Goldcar. I asked an employee of Avis and he smiled saying that they don't have an office in the airport. You have to take a shuttle to the industrial zone of the airport to pick up the car.

After queueing for 45 minutes to reach the single employee that was handling 10 rentals at the same time, we were shocked to learn that our cheap 48 EUR rental for 3 days, became 183 EUR!!!!

How does Goldcar scam you? Two ways

1. You are asked to add a full insurance. Pretty common in all rental companies. I said no like I always do. I am fine with the basic insurance. But the Goldcar employee kept talking for 15 minutes, scaring us that "there is no limit to how much we can charge you" and that "if you scratch the car just a bit, we will charge you 700 EUR". I kept saying no but she kept pushing it super aggressively. At one point we broke down and said ok. 47 EUR scammed.

2. They have a unique system that pretends to be helpful for the customer but is in fact a scam. They provide the car with a full tank (like many other companies do), but they say to you 3 times that you MUST return it the emptiest possible. Only they fail to mention that they filled it in at a rate 35% more expensive that the rate you'd get at the gas station down the road (keep driving for 800m , you will find a Repsol station). Full tank at Goldcar's fantasy rates? 88 EUR.

Three tips if you unfortunate to have rented with Goldcar.

1. Cancel your reservation and make another one with a better company, anything is better than Goldcar.

2. If you can't cancel it - too bad. At least be strong and decline the rip-off extra insurance. They will scare you the most they can, be strong. Say no.

3. Fill-up the tank right before giving the car back. They are forced by law to refund you the tank they filled at the rate they filled it in. Don't believe their lying employees that its best for you the return the car empty. ITS NOT, IT IS A RIP-OFF!!!!

Conclusion: Goldcar is the worst company I've ever rented a car from. They are clearly and aggressively trying to rip off their customers.

Edited: 8:33 am, May 28, 2012
Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
11 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

I completely agree with the above post, but would like to highlight an additional scam that GOLDCAR seem to trying;

- After having returned your car and finished your holiday, you will check your credit card bill a few weeks later and see that Goldcar have taken an additional amount out (140 euros). I phoned their head office direct when i saw this and they told me it was for 'additional cleaning' of the vehicle. When i queried this they immediately said it was a mistake and refunded it. I told a couple of guys in work who were renting with Goldcar about this, and sure enough the same thing happened to them. Scam artists if i ever saw them. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

Never boook goldcar in spain they are real thieves I have just been the victim in gran canaria airport I live in malaga and advise all visitors to avoid this scam ripoff company

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

Just having an awful experience with goldcar they are thieves and liars I live in spain and for sure sue them. Never book w.ith them thamks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

I couldn't agree more as I had exactly the same experience in Tenerife. I refused to pay the extra insurance but still paid the 60 euro for a tiny tank in a polo being told to bring it back empty in a week - on Tenerife - really - do we all spend our holidays driving around these islands all day.

When I returned I checked my Visa - I had been charged for fuel on the first day of my holiday and the last day - when I only used one tank of fuel. Visa are investigating.

Expect an hours que at the airport - my advice - pay 25% MORE AND GET AN HONEST SERVICE WITH ANOTHER COMPANY. You'll save money in the long run.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Amsterdam, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

Completely agree! On our on-time arrival in Alicante we had to wait for 2 hours in the waiting line for Goldcar, while the other offices had no waiting time at all. The only way to escape the waiting line was a priority check-in for an additional € 60,-. Obviously, the employees of Goldcar were not in a hurry.

Apart from this we also had to pay € 128,- for additional insurance and gasoline for gold mining prices.

Please be warned: never ever book Goldcar! It's a complete scam company that deserves brankruptcy a.s.a.p.

Mentioned in this post
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

GOLDCAR - LIARS, CHEATS AND SCAMMERS

I have just been their latest victim in Ibiza. I booked through HOLIDAY AUTOS who i have booked through before and no had a problem, the only problem is they are affiliated with crooks such as GoldCar, I wish I'd paid attention and looked up the actual rental company before I went, but i naively had faith that Holiday Autos were OK.

I paid for the rental and extra for full insurance in advance, on arrival i was basically made to pay for full insurance again 120e for one week (disgusting), 88e for an economy full tank of diesel (rip off) and have come home to an email for a 60e "cleaning bill" - I am going to have to cancel my credit card as I cannot trust crooks like this having my details and just taking my money when they feel like it for fabricated reasons. DO NOT USE GOLDCAR.

Avis, Hertz, Europcar, whoever, all the way.

Mentioned in this post
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

I have just learned that Holiday Autos who I've had good experiences with have been taken over by CarTrawlers who it seems are also crooks teaming up with crooks such as GoldCar, explains a lot. DO NOT USE "HOLIDAY AUTOS', CAR TRAWLER, OR GOLD CAR. Go straight to the reputable companies.

Humlebaek, Denmark
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

GOLDCAR is a SCAM! Stay away!

I found on the Internet several forums and statements from more than 3.000 people that were robbed by Spanish car rental company GOLDCAR. Unfortunately not in time, as I recently got robbed too. Operating within EU laws, I would claim that GOLDCAR’s business model is illegal. Hopefully someone one day stops them from ruining people’s vacations.

I hired a car from GOLDCAR in Lisbon airport, using CarTrawler – all basic insurances included. When picking up the key’s at GOLDCAR’s new counter in Lisbon airport, the GOLDCAR lady tried very hard, to sell me additional insurances. I’m used to this, knowing it’s a part of their commission model, so I refused. Never the less, the GOLDCAR lady continued to repeat, that she recommended an additional insurance, and after answering “no thanks” seven (7) times, she told me that this was a “big mistake”, and that I for sure would “regret the decision”. She even told it in a very odd and rude way that made me feel quite uncomfortable. Working with business and sales development myself, I’m normally quite tolerant in cases where sales people get commission on their sales, but this was too much.

Now, after some days in Portugal, I returned the car as picked up (with some big scratches around, that I fortunately got marked during pickup). The guy at GOLDCAR drop point checked the car, didn’t find anything that wasn’t already marked, and then asked for my copy of the papers. After a few minutes he returned, went to the very dirty wind screen, wiped the dirt away on a 10 cm area in upper left corner of the wind screen and pointed out a microscopic, 0.5 by 0.5 mm tiny white dot placed at the edge of the wind screen. It was so tiny, that if you didn’t know it was there, you would never see it – even standing right in front of the screen with total clean windows.

I immediately felt the “setup”. Why would he suddenly come back and wipe the dust of in a 10 cm area, and point out something that you would never see, if you didn’t know it was already there? I immediately claimed that this small white dot never could be categorized as damage, and that it probably already was there at pickup. I mean, we are not talking about one of those 1 – 2 mm small craters caused thrown-up pebbles. We are talking about a tiny white dot, smaller than a single, white sugar particle, and only in the absolute top surface of the glass.

But no, GOLDCAR demanded 400 Euro for a new wind screen. They claimed that they needed to change it for “security reasons”, and I was shocked. I felt this as a really unethical way of doing business. In pure anger, I went over to the cleaned, “pickup ready” cars from GOLDCAR, and documented with my camera, that 7 out of 21 cars (30%) had even bigger “cosmetic” dots on their wind screens. How could they send all these car’s on the street, if a tiny, tiny white dot, at the very edge of the wind screen far from drivers side, made up such a big security issue, that the wind screen needed to be changed?

It’s probably needless to say, that my arguing didn’t last at all. Despite my protest, GOLDCAR kept 400 Euro of my deposit, and we all know that this wind screen won’t be changed, and we also know, that the next customer won’t see the small white dot before it might be pointed out by a GOLDCAR employee when returning the car. Being very cheap on the search engines and then robbing people afterwards seems to be their business model.

Shame on you GOLDCAR!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Euro Hotel Barcelona
Euro Hotel Barcelona
617 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

here's the latest one from Goldcar- they e mail you 12 months later saying that you didn't pay tolls and that they will, independent of the toll company, charge you a 'management fee' of €30. When you try to log on to complain, hey presto, you can't!

They should be shut down, simple as that.

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar is a SCAM, beware!!!

I would like to add my negative experience with Goldcar so that more people are warned of another way of being cheated by them.

I rented a car through internet in the malaga airport.

I had to reach for the hidden-lost-in-the-middle-of-nowhere desk of Goldcar and when there i was told:

YOUR DRIVING LICENCE IS IN A "BLACK LIST", WE CANNOT RENT YOU.

I showed up alone and there was no way i could find a solution other than rent at higher price with another company: sixt. Where i had no "blacklist problem".

BUT....I got confirmed by sixt had i been on a black list i would be banned from all of the car rentals all together.

And since then i rented many more times without a problem.

And last of course...i never left unpaid a bill or a damage with any car rental....i'm a good boy.

The other car rental suggested "BLACKLIST" is a way out from "OVERBOOKING".......the way for them to get rid of me without taking responsability for the overbooking.

Also the prices of Goldcar are HIGHER than Europcar to say one, after you pay the gasoline refuel.

I have happily rented away from Goldcar since then.

Stay away from them :)

Edited: 10:33 am, December 28, 2013