We rented a car with Goldcar for our Menroca holiday, cheapest price and it seemed legit.
On arrival to the airport, I saw all the usual car rental companies had offices (Hertz, Avis, etc) but not Goldcar. I asked an employee of Avis and he smiled saying that they don't have an office in the airport. You have to take a shuttle to the industrial zone of the airport to pick up the car.
After queueing for 45 minutes to reach the single employee that was handling 10 rentals at the same time, we were shocked to learn that our cheap 48 EUR rental for 3 days, became 183 EUR!!!!
How does Goldcar scam you? Two ways
1. You are asked to add a full insurance. Pretty common in all rental companies. I said no like I always do. I am fine with the basic insurance. But the Goldcar employee kept talking for 15 minutes, scaring us that "there is no limit to how much we can charge you" and that "if you scratch the car just a bit, we will charge you 700 EUR". I kept saying no but she kept pushing it super aggressively. At one point we broke down and said ok. 47 EUR scammed.
2. They have a unique system that pretends to be helpful for the customer but is in fact a scam. They provide the car with a full tank (like many other companies do), but they say to you 3 times that you MUST return it the emptiest possible. Only they fail to mention that they filled it in at a rate 35% more expensive that the rate you'd get at the gas station down the road (keep driving for 800m , you will find a Repsol station). Full tank at Goldcar's fantasy rates? 88 EUR.
Three tips if you unfortunate to have rented with Goldcar.
1. Cancel your reservation and make another one with a better company, anything is better than Goldcar.
2. If you can't cancel it - too bad. At least be strong and decline the rip-off extra insurance. They will scare you the most they can, be strong. Say no.
3. Fill-up the tank right before giving the car back. They are forced by law to refund you the tank they filled at the rate they filled it in. Don't believe their lying employees that its best for you the return the car empty. ITS NOT, IT IS A RIP-OFF!!!!
Conclusion: Goldcar is the worst company I've ever rented a car from. They are clearly and aggressively trying to rip off their customers.Edited: 8:33 am, May 28, 2012