We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
183 reviews
271 helpful votes
Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

After years of using rental cars all over the world (USA, South Africa, Mexico, Thailand, Canaries etc.) we just had our first bad experience with a car rental company. Gold Car !! So please, take my advice and don't give them any business, they really don't deserve your hard earned money !!

We rented a car from them last week at Reus airport, booked trough Auto Europe, meaning we got a zero excess for free from Auto Europe. When we picked up the car we had a hour long discussion with the desk employee about the extra insurance he was trying to make us buy, even though my voucher stated we got a zero excess insurance from Auto Europe. In the end he got the message we weren't going to buy the extra insurance so he tried it another way. When the driver was giving his credit card (Master Card) for the deposit guarantee the Gold Car employee said that we can not get the car without the extra insurance because the master card that we gave him was not a credit card (??) but a debet card. Now you must know that the driver of our group owns a house in the area and rents cars at Reus airport very often, always using that credit card without a problem when using other rental companies. So what Gold Car told us was rubbish. So the driver offered them another (Visa Credit) card. The employee said this was also not a credit card so we would need to take the insurance. At that stage I offered them one of my credit cards. He said this one was fine but I couldn't use it becuase I wasn't driving the car. We were a group of 4 so the second driver in the contract offered them one of his cards. Guess what? The same rubbish answer. I was getting quiet upset at that stage (other people at the desk were going trough the same thing while we were there) and only when I was about to phone the bank that issued the card (so I could let the bank actually tell the employee that the card was indeed a credit card) he actually agreed to accept the card. We are experienced travellers and have used our credit cards at many hotels and car rental companies without a problem. Gold Car was just trying it's way to make people pay actually more than they should.

I forgot to mention that the full petrol tank we were forced to buy actually costed more than the car rental price for a week...

Lacoste, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

I agree. Gold Car is shonky and dishonest. I ended up paying more than double the quoted price. I booked through Argus. That makes Argus shonky and dishonest too.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

The very worst of ANY car rental company i have EVER dealt with,rude and obnoxious staff poor service not getting what was promised the very worst of the worse,Ibiza does not need cowboys like this lot

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

We agree, Gold Car are dodgy.! We rented a car from Barcelona Airport in April this year. We had tried to reserve a GPS when making our booking but we were told that this was not possible nor necessary as they always have a supply. This is rubbish. When we went to collect the car there was not a GPS available. When we asked the staff what we should do (after all we were driving in a foreign country) they suggested we drive into the city of Barcelona and buy a GPS from a store. Hmmm, how do you do that when you don't have a GPS to guide you into an unknown city? We eventually made it to our destination of rural Pubol (well worth the expedition!) and purchased a GPS from nearby Girona. Our efforts to return the hire car 3 days later back to their Airport depot was almost impossible (not to mention extremely stressful) even with our new GPS. The co-ordinates on their brochure are incorrect and they do not have a street address as the depot is in an Industrial Estate which is not within the airport grounds. Adding to our annoyance, their phone goes unanswered all day. To add insult to injury we were charged a 30 Euro late fee simply because it took us many hours to locate the depot to return the car. Their fuel costs are exorbitant. AUD$200 for a 40 litre tank of diesel. Don't waste your money or sanity thinking you are saving a few dollars because you aren't. Stick with the main players whose depots are located within the airport precinct and where you can pre-book a GPS !

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
183 reviews
271 helpful votes
4. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

I still wonder how they can go on doing business the way they do...

They must be doing some things they're not supposed to do.

It's obvious they are abusing their power on tourists that have prebooked (and often prepaid) their rental car so there's no other posibility than accepting their vicious rules (the other option is loosing the money you prepaid to them allready by cancelling the contract).

We were in Tenerife 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how many Gold Car rental cars were still driving around there, especially as there are soo many good and cheap alternatives there to choose from (we rented a Citroen C3 for 61€ all included for a week from a very good, honest company!!).

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
183 reviews
271 helpful votes
5. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

A nice little game to play :

Type 'Gold Car' into the little search box above and try to find ONE (just one!) positive comment about this company... :-)

Telling you... impossible !!

Haverfordwest...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

Thanks. All the car hire agents and brokers seem to point to this outfit and a couple mention rules about not accepting debit cards so they can crank up their own excess waiver. Clearly a rip-off. Has anyone found a broker/agent who actually gets to pick up a car from an airport desk?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

Just had a chat with a pal up the golf club,guess what ? he has just got back from Spain 7 days ago and IS still waiting for his £600 to be credited back to his credit card.SURELY some one knows someone that knows someone to get these cowboys sorted

Haverfordwest...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

Gave up even thinking about Gold Car and went with Sixt who I have used before at Malaga, when they were very efficient sorting out changes after getting stuck with the ash cloud fiasco. Sixt price was 20% more, but they have an airport desk so no shuttle bus rubbish and include one extra driver free. For a compact the excess is 350, less than most of the others and there are no other obvious rip-offs re other excesses or fuel fill cons.

Bishop'stortfod
2 posts
1 review
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

I have used Gold Car for a number of years from Alicante airport and have never come across the complaints that your correspondents have. In fact I have had totally the opposite experience. I have always found the staff very pleasent and very helpful. I did use a booking agent in the U.K to arrange the car hire from Gold Car who I found were trying to charge me nearly £200 more than quoted on line by Gold Car, this was for a months hire. This agency is mentioned by a number of other correspondents in your e-mails. has it ever occured to them it could be the agent that could be the one who is wrong.? I have always found their cars first class and generally top of the range vehicles. I have also used two other car hire companies from Alicante airport who have seriously let me down, break downs and been left abandoned in the middle of no-where, one who I am sure uses used cars for hire . Most car hire companies these days charge up-front for the fuel.

I shall be using them again for another month this year.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: Don't use Gold Car rentals !!

We just had similar experiences in Gold Car's newly opened office in Pisa, Italy. I wish I would have read this before renting with them... Also ended up paying double for gas and insurances I didn't need. I was also forced to place a depositum of no less than EUR 1.200 on my Mastercard - which I truly hope they have by now releases as promised. Apart from money, this nearly ruined the first day of our holiday first waiting in the que, and then feeling stupid for having walked into their trap. The last day was stressful, thanks to having to reserve an hour extra time to the airport, to return to the car after a long wait in line to a lady who tried to get the keys from me without signing the paperwork.She even said: don't worry, just go, we have your depositum if there's something wrong with the car!!! WGold Car does is dishonest, close to criminal, and I truly wish I had never heard of them..