We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Spain now?

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Spain now?

Hi everyone - I booked a ticket to Madrid for beginning of June to go see some of the major cities - Madrid, Barcelona and so on. However I am getting worried with the recent protests and economy issues, especially since I have seen that these events have affected travel. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. If worse comes to worse I guess I could take a train to another country... Thanks, Teresa

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,097 Reviews
from $44.20*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
634 Reviews
from $110.54*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Best of Barcelona...
1,719 Reviews
from $103.60*
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

There's nothing to worry about!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
68,848 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

Teresa:

The general strike was a one day affair. Unfortunately there were some unruly people in Barcelona that created bad news for Spain. Spain is a very safe country to visit. The bad economy is actually good for visitors because many prices have come down, such as the price of hotel rooms, to attract more visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Spain
Spain
Europe
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

Of course it is safe to visit Spain. The strike was only for 24 hours.

The media focused on / magnified one small bit of trouble on the strike day.

You probably have more chance if seeing civil unrest in Pittsburg than in Spain!

By the way, recent strikes are not unique to Spain so you could just as easily be affected by one if you did get a train to another country - e.g. French Traffic Controllers were not working this week. So just relax and have a wonderful time here in Spain.

Edited: 1:14 am, April 03, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

Thanks for all of the feedback and perspective everyone! I really appreciate it.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

Just to add, for your tranquillity... I was in Barcelona, actually in the demonstration, on the strike day. I learnt there were "riots" on the news. Sadly, the press were not interested in the HUNDREDS of peaceful demonstrators, but magnified the (definitely reprobable) acts of a bunch of idiots.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

I totally agree with Belsaita.

It's now the trend to magnify anything remotely resembling a riot in Barcelona and other cities, when the truth is that 99.999% of demonstrations are absolutely peaceful and chances that as a visitor you'll be affected by them are close to zero, being affected meaning that you'll have to look for an alternative route to your restaurant/bar/sight/museum.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

Ah, yes - the lovely media blowing everything up. Again thanks so much and glad for those who traveled to Spain had an enjoyable time.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

But are there more crimes now due to the poor economy? I heard that the police stations are always full of tourists whose money and passports are stolen / robbed.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

>>> I heard that the police stations are always full of tourists whose money and passports are stolen / robbed. <<<

Only the public counter area, not the cells ;-)

Edited: 7:47 am, September 20, 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to travel to Spain now?

We're leaving Saturday, and my husband is a little concerned.

I have a safety purse and he has a hidden wallet thingy. But we keep hearing about muggings and pick pockets.

We will try to not dress flashy or look too American, but what else can one do? It can't be any worse than NYC ! right ?