We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
537 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

I'm looking for ideas about where to go this summer for 3 weeks for a relaxing holiday. We would be happy to stay in just one place or split our time between 2 or 3 resorts. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 10 and 7 years).

We are considering buying a holiday home abroad (country as yet undecided!), so if we decided Spain is the place we would like to return to year on year, we would want somewhere that we could visit all year round. We spent a few weeks in Greece last year and love it, but it seems to "close down" more over winter than Spain.

We are looking for somewhere within an hour or so of an airport. Within walking distance we would ideally like a nice beach, restaurants, shops, etc, but nowhere too overly developed. To give you an idea, we don't like Brits Abroad places like Bendiorm or Salou and like the idea of a fishing village, or similar. I've looked at Costa Tropical, in particuar La Herradura, but have read it's quite expensive to eat out? Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

I stayed in Nerja many years ago and from memory it seemed to have everything we're looking for - but has it been spoiled by tourism in the last few years?

I would welcome any ideas or suggestions! Thanks!

VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

I think it would be worth you having a look at Vilanova i la Geltru. It's unspoilt by international tourism, has great shops, restaurants and beaches etc. Barcelona and Reus airports are both within 45 minutes. It's a lively but traditional town all year round.

Baltimore
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

My family's personal favorite is Tossa de Mar on the Costa Brava. We originally visited there when we lived in Barcelona in '97 and have since returned 3 or 4 times on various trips to Spain. Though Tossa is clearly a draw for tourists, the town has succeeded in keeping out the high rise condos as in Benidorm and Lloret de Mar (which is just down the coast from Tossa). It blends a gorgeous beach, a charming old town, a castle on a hill, and sufficient amenities (though it lacks fine restaurants). Its proximity to Barcelona is also an attraction. I know from our Catalan friends that Cadaques is very popular for owning a home.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

Hi,

The beaches at Teulada-Moraira are simply stunning: they offer all that a family on holiday might look for: -

For Mum: safe, sandy, beaches that slope gently into the warm and gentle Mediterannean, sunbeds and rattan umbrellas for a relax and a read...

For the Children: safe, sandy beaches, little rock pools for exploring the sea-life, space to play with a bat and ball, children's play park with slides, swings and roundabouts...

For Dad: jet-ski's, water-skiing, wind-surfing, scuba-diving, sailing, hot-air ballooning and a few good quality bars for that 'apres-surf' cold beer...

Take a look at the article linked below for a great explanation of the Teulada Moraira beaches...

ezinearticles.com/…

Happy hunting

Grant

4. Re: Best Spanish beach resorts for families?Open to suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 24, 2010