We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Hi

Can anyone give me any pointers on where they think it would be good to take my 5 year old?

Thanks in advance, will be travelling from London

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Vilanova i la Geltru has a lovely beach and is very family friendly. Good restaurants and shops. Only 40 minutes to Barcelona. Lots of kiddies play parks and live music and festivals during the summer. I have rental apartments but I am not allowed to advertise my URL. There's a range of accommodation with different companies in the town at reasonable prices.

Mentioned in this post
Vilanova i la Geltru
Vilanova i la Geltru
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
68,747 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Torremolinos has beautiful beaches and there are nearby attractions for children, like the Fuengirola Zoo, several water parks and safari parks. The beach will also help cool you off.

I would not advise anyplace inland, as they will be very hot, unless it is in the north of Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
Fuengirola
Fuengirola
Costa del Sol, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

We like the Costa Brava very much, have been going to Pals a week each summer since our son was little. However Vilanova i la Geltrú is also nice (a real town which has a beach, not just a resort), and it has the advantage that you cd get into Barcelona easily and also down to PortAventurs, all by train . For Costa Brava you need a car. Note that prices here go up spectacularly for the last week in July and most of August as that's when most Spaniards are on holiday.

This year we have booked a week in Asturias early in August through holiday-rentals-co.uk at less than half of what we will be paying for last week in August in Pals. However Asturias is "green Spain" so more chance of rain (we aren't going there for the beach). Atlantic beaches so tides and cooler water too.

I personally don't like the Costa del Sol as it's very developed; Costa de la Luz (beyond Gibraltar round to Portugal) is much prettier but can be windy and again Atlantic rather than Med.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Pals
Pals
Costa Brava, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Costa de la Luz
Costa de la Luz
Andalucia, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Sorry that sd be Port Aventura (it's near Salou). Theme park and water park; has its own station.

Tarragona for Roman ruins another possible day-trip if 5 year-old is so inclined.

Vilanova itself has a railway museum and working port. Minigolf by the beach....

Mentioned in this post
Aventura Girona
Aventura Girona
398 Reviews
Girona, Spain
Salou
Salou
Costa Dorada, Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

ScifiPaul -

It really depends on what sort of town you want to visit for your holiday.

Vilanova is a classy, very Catalan / Spanish town with a lot fewer foreign tourists and lots of traditional festivals and fun. There are numerous excellent restaurants and children are welcome everywhere. As I said before the beach is great for children with no rocks and gently shelving sand into the sea. I'm only 5'2" and can walk nearly 100 metres before the sea is up to my chin! There is also Port Aventura (a bit like Disney Land) and the water park just 50 minutes away. One advantage is having Barcelona so accessible with up to 4 trains an hour and only a 40 - 50 minute journey.

Torremolinos is much more of a foreign tourist resort, particularly British, with such things as sports and karaoke bars. It is a great place for children with all the activities and entertainment actually in town and of course, a nice beach.

So it really depends on what you like as parents because either place could cater for children.

One thing. You may find cheaper accommodation in Torremolinos because it offers package deals and surplus apartments may be let out cheaply. So if you are on a tight budget it may be worth shopping around for a late deal on the internet,

If you decided to come to Vilanova I would be delighted to offer you more advice. Wherever you go have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Aventura Girona
Aventura Girona
398 Reviews
Girona, Spain
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Torremolinos
Torremolinos
Costa del Sol, Spain
London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Hi, Can anyone give me any information/ tips about Vilanova i la Geltrú - things to see and do..? I will be there during Christmas, travelling from Lndon. I also plan to visit Barcelona, can you suggest the best way to cover the important sights? Can it be done on my own or do I need to opt for a guided tour? How far are the places from each other? Can they be covered by foot?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Hi, Can anyone give me any information/ tips about Vilanova i la Geltrú - things to see and do..? I will be there during Christmas, travelling from Lndon. I also plan to visit Barcelona, can you suggest the best way to cover the important sights? Can it be done on my own or do I need to opt for a guided tour? How far are the places from each other? Can they be covered by foot?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
españa
Level Contributor
926 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Hi! I love Balearic islands (with kids mallorca or menorca). The best beaches in spain. Good weather and good food. No dubt: Balearic island.

Mentioned in this post
VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Hi Leo

Have a read of the previous posts on this thread. Generally Vilanova is more lively over the 3 kings period 5/6th Jan. Christmas tends to be more of a family time here. However, there are plenty of lively bars and clubs open over the Christmas period and the atmosphere is great. Try Puput, Can Cabanyes, Dicks Jazz Bar, a couple of Irish bars (full of locals) in the Geltru, L'Arengada in the Geltru, bar nostalgic and Can Sola in the town square. The club scene is on Carrer Unio and these are friendly and popular. For tapas go to Giradillo and Lizarrane. For good local food go to L'Arengada, Toscana and Cacuenca. The seafood restaurants on the seafront are good and the menu del dias are excellent value although they will probably be fiesta price (approx 12 euros). Not many people in the restaurants and bars in town speak English but most of the seafront menus are translated. Might be worth bringing a small dictionary with you to check what you are eating because tripe and pigs trotters are often on the menu!

There are up to 4 trains per hour into Barcelona and coming back, these run until 12 p.m. from Passeig de Gracia. After that there is a night bus leaving on the hour from 1.a.m. through to when the trains start again. You don't need a tour guide just hop on the tourist bus and choose what to see depending on your interests. Or use the metro if you are confident but you do miss out on the sights doing that. The sights are too far apart to do on foot (depending on what you want to see) - Barcelona is a big place. It's worth staying in Barna until dark because the Christmas lights are lovely. I don't know where you are staying in VNG but there are few taxis especially after 11 p.m. so be prepared to walk home. No one can guarantee your security in the early hours but it is very unusual to have any problems in VNG.

Have a great time and Merry Christmas!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
l'Arengada
l'Arengada
110 Reviews
Vilanova i la Geltru, Spain
Passeig de Gracia
Passeig de Gracia
12,290 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place For Family/Kids Holiday on July, August?

Thank you so much. The information is very useful. I will be staying at the Atena Park Apartments.

I think I will take your suggestion to take the hop on-hop off bus, I should cover most of the sights that way. I am looking to visit the La Rambla, Casa Milo, Parc Guell, Sargada Familiglia and maybe the St Josep Market. It would be a great idea to stay back until dark to enjoy the Chirstmas lights. Is there any other place of interest which is a must-see?

What is the choice of vegetarian food available in Vilanova and Barcelona? One person in our group is a vegetarian.

Mentioned in this post
La Rambla
La Rambla
395 Reviews
Sabadell, Spain
Parc Guell
Parc Guell
66,304 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona