We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Northern Spain

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Northern Spain

Hi

I've got 3 weeks to explore Northern Spain in August with my girlfriend. We've never been to the north before. We fly into Santiago and out of Bilbao.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Carter

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Northern Spain

Hello CARTER,

You are so lucky and privelaged to have this wonderfull oportunity.

Spend 3 or four days just walking around the historic Santiago. Get relaxed and acostomed to Spanish lifestyle.These few days of relaxation will help you for the rest of the trip. Remember that you will be a little stressed out from the tension of preparing the trip and getting here.

Rent a car.

Drive up to LA CORUNYA. Stay for at least 2 nights. Another city well worth visiting and walking around the old quarters.

From there, take the coastal road and drive all the way to Bilbao.

I found it to be an unforgetable experience even though I did it the other way. From Bilbao all the way to Vigo, following the coastal routes.

Having your own car will give you the option of stopping when you want to.

There are many B&B places, plus Hostals and economical hotels all along the way. Just drive without making advance reservations. It will be much more fun and exciting.

You get to meet the people and see how nice and friendly they can be.

Driving from La Corunya all the way to Gijon, you will see many small picturesque seaside villages. Stay in any one that you fancy to.

Must places to stop should include, Gijon, Oviedo, Cangas de Onis on the way to Lagos de Covadonga.

Comillas, Santillana del Mar, Santander (area called Playa de Sardinero). Stay for at least 2 nights. It is well worth it.

Keep going east to Santonya and Laredo.

Stay one night to experiece the area.

In less than one hour you will be in Bilbao.

Find a base and do one day trips to San Sebastian and anywhere in that region.

The only problem is that you may not want to go back home.

Have fun!

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Northern Spain

JohnnyBeGood

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Carter