We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

Devon
13 posts
Save Topic
The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

I am going to Hamburg for a week in a few days time and, whilst there, I would like to visit Lübeck and the marzipan factory. This is my first trip to the area so any advice regarding how to get there by public transport, fares etc would be much appreciated. Two to five people would be going including a small child (age 3).

UK
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

You mean the factory rather than the shop/cafe in the town centre, right? Strangely Niederegger's own web site doesn't mention the factory shop - I'm fairly certain it used to.

To get to the factory you catch a No 7 bus from the town centre (it'll say Moorgarten on the front). You can get a group day pass which is probably the cheapest and easiest way of doing it - don't know how much they are but this web site should tell you:

http://www.sv-luebeck.de/en/

(Ah, just realised you are starting your journey from Hamburg... your train tickets will include one bus journey in each direction in the central zone, so no need to get a separate ticket for the bus. You can catch a No 7 from the central bus station opposite the train station)

UK
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

Actually... forget what I just said about train tickets. I wasn't thinking straight. You can get a Schleswig Holstein Ticket which covers your return train journey and any local transport in Hamburg (but not in Lübeck). Valid for up to five adults, 27 Euro for the first adult, 3 Euro per additional adult, children under 5 go free, children under 15 go free if they are your own children or grandchildren (!).

Full details, in English

bahn.com/i/…schleswig-holstein-ticket.shtml

This will NOT cover your bus journey in Lübeck for which you will need to get the local group ticket that I mentioned before.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

The information is still there:

niederegger.de/epages/Niederegger.sf/en_GB/…

You also may want to consider getting a so called "Kleingruppenkarte " (small group card) though it depends on how many people you are at end,on what day you want to travel, at what time you want to leave (the Schleswig Holstein Ticket e.g. is just valid from 9am Mon - Fri) and whether you need it for further travelling in and around Hamburg on that day (or not as you may consider a weekly ticket or so in Hamburg anyway too so you may just need a ticket from e.g. Ahrensburg). That includes the travelling in Lübeck.

http://nah.sh.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en? For more info on schedule and fares.

Edited: 8:07 am, May 13, 2014
Devon
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

Thanks very much for all that information - the mind boggles! On reflection I think that the shop/cafe sounds better as there are other things to see nearby. Is the Old Town very far away from the marzipan cafe as, according to other posts, it sounds a good place to visit?

UK
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

There are various bits of "Old Town" dotted all over the place (i.e., it's not one coherent whole) - but none more than about 10-15 minutes' walking distance from the Niederegger Cafe.

The Cafe is in the main shopping precinct, surrounded by a mix of old and new buildings. It's opposite the Town Hall, and no more than a couple of minutes from two of the main churches, St Mary's (still in use as a church) and St Peter's, now used for concerts and exhibitions. If it's a nice clear day I recommend taking the lift to the top of the tower of St Peter's.

You can walk into town from the station - it's quite a nice walk, with some nice views of the town, and it takes you past the famous Holsten Gate.

Devon
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

Thanks very much for latest info. I've just got to get there now...

7. Re: The Niederegger Marzipan Factory Lübeck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lubeck