We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station to Melia hotel by wheelchair?

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train station to Melia hotel by wheelchair?

Hello

I’m currently investigating Dresden for my summer holiday at the end of July.

I am physically disabled and use an electric wheelchair. I travel on my own, Scotland to Germany via train-since I don’t like flying.

My current preference for a hotel is Innside by Melia.

The main issue at the moment is how to get from the main train station to the hotel. Several web sites mention wheelchair accessible taxis in Dresden but the 2 companies I’ve found have not replied to my emails yet (only contacted them on Friday and yesterday though).

I was in London and Rotterdam in April and managed without taxis. I purchased a suitcase with 4 wheels and managed to drag it at the side of my chair.

I have 2 questions:-

Is the walk between the train station and the hotel practical for wheelchairs?

Alternatively, are there any wheelchair accessible taxis or other transport available? Remember it’s an electric wheelchair, therefore it’s heavy and will not fold.

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station to Melia hotel by wheelchair?

Information of the VVO (local public transport) on barrier free travel. As it looks this information is only on their pages in German

vvo-online.de/de/…index.aspx

Here a map which shows the network and the stops and how you can get there on the trams/buses

- grey: barrier free for wheelchairs

- yellow: barrier free when using the built-in (the trams and buses) ramps

- red: not barrier free

vvo-online.de/download/Haltestellenatlas_fue…

The closest stop to your hotel "Synagoge" - which is a yellow one.

The low floor trams have their ramps at the first door behind the driver. Marked by a wheelchair symbol with a red rectangle.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station to Melia hotel by wheelchair?

No need for taking taxis. The trams are wheelchair accessible. Platforms are designed for wheelchair access, too - no exceptions in the city centre. From the main train station take either tram 3 (direction "Wilder Mann") or 7 (direction "Weixdorf") to stop "Synagoge" (3 stops). From there it is ca. 5 minutes to the Innside by Melia. The last few metres are cobblestones, though.

There is a special service for disabled people which the Dresden Transportation Company provides, maybe it is helpful for you. If you contact them by email they might assist you to get from the train station to your hotel.

In German: www.dvb.de/de/Service/DVB-Begleitservice/

In summary in English: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/21dfab/

3. Re: Train station to Melia hotel by wheelchair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Dresden