We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

I'm considering arranging a stopover in Dresden on my way from Prague to Magdeburg. From what I can tell, I'll likely be going through Dresden no matter what, so I thought I'd spend a few hours site seeing rather than just making my connection.

The itinerary I'm leaning toward has me stopping over for six hours. I'm planning to tour the Royal Palace, Church of our Lady, the Zwinger, and just walk around the historic center (I'm using this site as a resource: http://www.dresden.de/dtg/en/sightseeing/sehenswuerdigkeiten/historische_altstadt.php).

Will that take six hours? Do you have any other recommendations of what I might see? Should I try to reduce the stopover time?

Thank you in advance.

Gliwice, Poland
Level Contributor
75 posts
1. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

Museums and interior sightseeings in Zwinger are closed on Mondays. According to:

der-dresdner-zwinger.de/de/…

courtyard and exterior sightseeings should be available to see on Mondays.

Dresden, Germany
2 posts
2. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

Reduce the stopover time? You better should bring six days with you instead of six hours…

So you can only concentrate on the most importend "mainstream-sights":

Royal Palace - the historic Green Vault is a must (for the most)-but the tickets are for time slots and some days early sold out for the day-so use online-pre-booking to make sure to can see skd.museum/en/…index.html

If you are intrested in historic pompous armory, have a look at the brand new opend "Rüstkammer" inside the Royal Palace.

dont miss the "Fürstenzug" (all the historic saxon empereors) and directly on the backside of the wall it is on the "Stallhof" (historic horse riding place)

Zwinger-dont miss to go up to second level outside using the stairs in the side-pavilion and see the hidden baroque "Nymphenbad" an the Garden behind

go up to "Brühlsche Terrasse" to have a view over the river and see the steamboats-on backside of "Brühlsche Terrasse" look for the little bit hidden entry beside "Albertinum" at "Fortress Dresden" (historic catacombs and medieval city gate directly under the "brühlsche Terrasse") http://www.festung-dresden.de/de/startseite/

Cross the river and enjoy the best view on the historic skyline from one of the beergardens left or right down the bridge directly on the riverside, drinking a "Radeberger Pils" (oldest Pilsener in Germany). See the Golden Rider Statue and don't be afraid of the surrounding ugly estern germany architecture. Instead go one street ahead to the left (in looking direction of the statue) to the "Palaisplatz" and follow the "Königstrasse" into the only baroque quarter left after bombing of 1945. And if there is time enough, cross the "Albertplatz" at the End of Königstrasse" and go right around next ugly block to the "Alounstrasse directly into the "Neustadt" (New Town) with all its szenic shops and bars and young hip lifestyle.

If you arrive by train and its possible, better leave at "Dresden Neustadt" instead of "Hauptbahnhof" (Main Station) an go a few meters directly to "Albertplatz" to do the recommended way backwards. From Main Station better take a tram to historic old town to avoid waste of time walking through boring shopping streets to reach historic center. (take tram 8 in front of main exit -not city exit!- of train station in direction "Hellerau" and jump of at "Theaterplatz" after some minutes direct in the historic center)

Have a pleasant stay, despite the short time...

Germany
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

Yes, the museums in the Zwinger are closed on Mondays. The courtyard is open, and as shadow suggested, do a walk on the roofs and see the Bath of the Nymphs. However, the roofs are only accessible in parts as the Crown Gate is undergoing restoration.

In the Royal Palace I'm not so sure which museum to recommend. I was in the recently opened Rüstkammer/Riesensaal on Saturday and was not much impressed. Nice pieces, but I liked the previous exhibit in the Zwinger better. Also, I'm not sure whether to recommend the New or Historic Green Vault - IMO the more fascinating pieces of art are in the New Green Vault (modern interior/setting), for which you don't need to buy an extra ticket with a time slot, while the Historic Green Vault is more about overall ambience, Baroque (restored) interior. But of course the pieces of jewellery etc. there are also stunning. Definitely go up the tower for excellent views.

See the catholic cathedral (Hofkirche) and the ev-Lutheran Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche).

If there is enough time, do a guided tour of the opera house (Semperoper). I doubt it, but if there's more time do walk across the Augustus bridge and stroll (as suggested in the previous post) through the so called Neustadt (New Town), where some Baroque townhouses survived the bombing.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

Thank you for the responses. I'll also have a shorter stopover on my way back through Dresden, so hopefully I can fit in some things I might miss the first time around.

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

I'm arriving in Prague next Friday with my girlfriend for a 3 night stay. We're going to spend Friday and Saturday seeing all there is to see in the Czech capital which will hopefully free up Sunday for a day trip to Dresden. The 08.26 train is a bit too early for us so looking at taking the 10.26 which means we'll arrive in Dresden for 12.45 before returning to Prague on the 19.00 train. This gives us just over 6 hours to take in what we can of Dresden. We're keen eaters so we'll probably be looking for a nice restaurant or a food market. Any recommendations? The Green Vault in the Royal Palace and the Zwinger seem like the best attractions to see, am I right?

6. Re: Six Hours in Dresden on a Monday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2015