We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

Piraeus, Greece
2 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

Hello,

I am staying at Prague for Christmas holidays and planning a short day trip to Dresden. Which day is better to visit Dresden, 24th or 25th of December? My stay there will be short, about 6 hours. For this reason I m not interested in visiting any museums, just want to go around and see some points of interest (if you could recommend the must-see for such few hours, it would be great!).

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,261 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

You can buy a cheap day return ticket from €22 www.cd.cz/eshop and print it off at home. This is for the early train there and the late train back. However you will be twiddling your thumbs and probably getting very cold as both days will be dead. On balance, though, 25th might be a little more 'lively'. If you want to get later trains then it is €19 each way from the above website, or €23 each way bought on the day.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

Nor so sure if the 25th is more lively. I'd say probably not. It's the day everyone sticks with the family, visits at private homes etc. Hardly someone out on the streets, shops are closed anyway, even many restaurants are closed, not to mention museums.

I'd say hop on an early train and visit on 24th. Advantage is that several Christmas markets are still open (Striezelmarkt on Altmarkt square, Münzgasse off Neumarkt square, the small one at the Royal Palace/Schlossstraße) until 2 pm, ditto all the shops. After that people head home or to the Christmas services. Actually, you might want to consider attending a Christmas service (Christvesper) either in the Frauenkirche or Kreuzkirche (long lines for the latter) which start shortly after 2 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Neumarkt
Neumarkt
448 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche
5,234 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Piraeus, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

Thank you both for the advices. Considering that Christmas markets are open until 2pm, it seems that 24th is better choice...After 2pm, we may stroll around if we can stand the cold!

4. Re: Day trip to Dresden from Prague on 24th or 25th Dec?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dresden