We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresden to Munich

airlie beach
2 posts
Save Topic
Dresden to Munich

I am travelling entirely by train and am spending 2 days in Dresden. After that I have 5 more days before I need to arrive in Munich (day 5 afternoon). I am interested in visiting Saxon Switzerland to the east and Elbe Valley including Meissen and Wurtburg to the west. I would also like to stay in Weimar for a couple of days before heading down to Munich. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to experience all these wonderful places in such a short time, given that some of them could be day trips from Dresden. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers from Down Under!

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dresden to Munich

Weimar and Wartburg castle are too far away from Dresden for day trips. I recommend to do these trips from Erfurt instead, which is the capital of Thuringia and offers a completely preserved, beautiful old town. From Erfurt both Weimar and the Wartburg can be easily reached by train.

2 days in Dresden are not enough if you also want to visit Saxon Switzerland and Meissen. OK, theoretically it's possible. Saxon Switzerland is a day trip, and usually it's recommended to spend 2 days in Dresden to see the (very small) old town and some of the museums. If you skip the museums you could explore both Dresdens old town and Meissen on a single day.

airlie beach
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dresden to Munich

Fantastic feedback. Thanks. I realize I have been overly ambitious - so many great places to see and so little time! As weird as it may sound, I do need to go to Grafenroda and thought I could go there from Weimar. What if I stole a day from Munich for a day trip to one of these places? I would really like to viisit the Green Vault in Dresden too if possible. What do you think?

3. Re: Dresden to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, December 14, 2013