We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to saxon switzerland national park

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
driving to saxon switzerland national park

We're going to drive to Saxon Switzerland for a day trip from Dresden - from my research I can see that I just head down on A 17 toward Pirna, but I have a more mundane question - will there be enough signage so we know where to go? We're going to head toward Bastei Bridge - is there a visitor center there with maps of the local trails? Any advice is much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Bastei
Bastei
762 Reviews
Bad Schandau, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

In September you'll only get Stollen produced by large (chain) bakeries. The smaller bakeries sell it closer to Christmas (from early November on would be perfect) - and theirs is of course tastier. But for a first introduction you can always try the Stollen available in September ...

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

It is a bit like hot cross buns (I don't know if you have those in the US) - I love them, but will only eat them at Easter; you can get them year-round in UK supermarkets nowadays. I employ the same rule with Stollen ... :)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

Come on, GCEK. we are a cultured nation. Of course do we have hot cross buns!

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

I wouldn't buy Stollen before November. The quality is mediocre at best. What you could buy instead is Pfefferkuchen (gingerbread), another traditional Saxon Christmas food. Saxon Pfefferkuchen is mostly handmade, comes from Pulsnitz (since 1558), a town close to Dresden, and is much more chocolatey and soft than gingerbread from Nuremberg or Aachen. There is a booth in front of the Ibis hotel on Prager Straße, open from Monday to Saturday. The most popular product are the Pulsnitzer Spitzen (filled with sour cherry or strawberry). Here is a pic:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…

More:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…

Edited: 1:49 pm, August 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Aachen
Aachen
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

Umm, yeah, but exactly these Pfefferkuchen sold in front of the Ibis hotels are from the biggest company (Gräfe), far from hand-made ...

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

Gräfe isn't the biggest company, that's the Pulsnitzer Lebkuchenfabrik GmbH (Lebkuchen!!!). Gräfe employs 9-11 people (which includes the sellers in the booths) and doesn't work differently than the other 7 small companies. If Gräfe isn't hand-made the others aren't either.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

Ask the locals in Pulsnitz, they're going to tell you a different story. And try Gräfe's, your taste buds will also tell you ...

18. Re: driving to saxon switzerland national park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dresden