We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets

New York
Level Contributor
225 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets

Is it possible to eat dinner at the Dresden Christmas market? Nothing fancy, just food to walk around with like a sausage or something.

Mentioned in this post
Dresden Christmas Market
Dresden Christmas Market
127 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Altes Wettbuero
$$ - $$$, German, European, Central European
Genuss-Atelier
$$$$, German, European, Diner
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets

Not only it is possible, it's one of the joys of going to a Christmas Market (for me it is, anyway :) ).

Since you'll be in Dresden make sure you taste (Dresdner) Stollen - a type of bread-like cake with candied fruits and almonds, traditional to the holiday season. Yummmmy!

Mentioned in this post
Dresden Christmas Market
Dresden Christmas Market
127 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas markets

Sure. The Christmas Markets are full of stalls selling things to eat (and drink).

Whitehaven
Level Contributor
153 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets

Like the people say.it's one of the things people enjoy at the markets.Bratwurst,fritz,roasted chestnuts,are just a few of the things you can eat there.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets

There is a lot more than just sausages (although the Thüringer ones are excellent). My tip: Dresden's best gourmet restaurant Bean&Beluga has a stall on Striezelmarkt, there you'll find even more sophisticated dishes. Their soup was delicious!

Food stalls are on every corner, it is close to impossible to resist the temptations...

Whitehaven
Level Contributor
153 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas markets

of course their is a lot more than sausages.The fritz and the roasted chestnuts are i mentioned are lovely.Gingerbread is also nice.I have eaten a large potato in fried batter accompanied with apple sauce,although i don't remember the name of this.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas markets

scowy what (who?) is "fritz"? ;-)

The potato thingy was probably a "Kartoffelpuffer" or "Reibekuchen" (depending where you ate it, two regional names for the same thing).

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas markets

Don't forget to try the "Pulsnitzer Pfefferkuchen". They are the local variant of the bettern known Lebkuchen from Nuremberg. The Pfefferkuchen are mostly handmade, softer and more chocolaty. Especially the "Spitzen" are very popular:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Pulsni…

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
8. Re: Christmas markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Dresden