We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Steamboat trip on the Elbe

What is the most scenic segment of the steamboat trip from Dresden to Bad Schandau? I may not have time to do the entire stretch.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Pirna to Bad Schandau is most scenic. Would be ok if you would get off the boat in Königstein also.

Don't underestimate the portion between old town and Pillnitz in Dresden. Not as scenic in terms of rugged sandstone patches etc. but lovely hillsides with mansions, castles etc.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Thanks Eagle2002. The boatride from Pirna sounds great. On another day I want to take the paddle steamer to Pillnitz so I can explore the gardens and take the Schwebebahn.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

This message is for Eagle 2002, please need to know where can i get info on river transportation the fastest to Dresden from Prage I am disabled and would like to spend day Aug 28 2012. I can not use tours my pace is very slow, thank you Dora l

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

As far as I know there is no boat from Dresden to Prague except for the multi-day cruises offered by Viking e.g.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Hi Eagle 2002, thank you for your info, would you happen to know of a local bus that would take me back and forth in one day?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Why don't you simply take the train?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

That's what I was wondering, too.

As for buses, there is a daily bus dep. 7 am behind the main train station (Hauptbahnhof, Bayerische Str.) arr. Prague at 9.30 am. Return trip leaves 6 pm in Prague, arr. 8.30 pm in Dresden. Bookings in the Service Centre of the main train station or directly via www.rvd.de Ticket for round trip is 28 Euro.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

Hey you are a live savior, thanks i was getting desilution, I can do that, great Thanks again!!Dora

9. Re: Steamboat trip on the Elbe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dresden