We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September festivals

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
137 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
September festivals

Will there be a music, cultural, or other festival in Dresden in September? If so, I would like to arrange my visit to attend it.

Edited: 9:10 am, March 29, 2011
Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September festivals

The festivals are over by then. But of course there are many cultural and other events in September in and around Dresden.

In Moritzburg are the horse parades:

saechsische-gestuetsverwaltung.de/moritzburg…

(German only)

Saxon State Winery Schloss Wackerbarth has a new wine festival the second weekend of September:

schloss-wackerbarth.de/englisch/…

The second weekend of September, on Sunday, is also European Heritage Day, meaning that you can see sights/monuments/interior that you cannot usually. Don't know yet what the program is this year. But I know for sure the opera house is open (everything backstage).

http://www.tag-des-offenen-denkmals.de/ (German)

Saturday, 10 September, Simone Kermes will sing Baroque arias in the Frauenkirche. A *must* for lovers of Baroque music!

http://www.frauenkirche-dresden.de

The schedule of the Semper opera house is also quite interesting in the first two weeks of September. Rusalka, Barber of Seville, two symphonic concerts (one the Staatskapelle Dresden under Thielemann! and the other the Chicago Symphony).

You mentioned to do day trips, right? There will be the Saxon State Exhibit in Görlitz until end of October - should be quite interesting.

landesausstellung-viaregia.museum/index.php…

Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September festivals

Oops, forgot to mention ...

We celebrate 850 years of viticulture in Saxony this year. There are several events over the year. For example, Pirna celebrates with a wine festival on 10 September. Winery Pesterwitz (outskirts of Dresden) has a wine festival 16-18 September. 23-25 September is the biggest Saxon wine festival in Radebeul-Kötzschenbroda (not just wine tasting and drinking, also culture/street theatre etc.) They charge a small fee. Meißen has its wine festival the same weekend and it is free (not so many cultural events).

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September festivals

Eagle2002, thanks so much for the information. I have added two more days to my time in Dresden to attend these events, explore more of Dresden, and take day trips previously recommended in another post.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September festivals

A wise decision, VickiAnne.

Eagle - sounds as if I should end my own trip in Dresden and stay there for the weekend around Sept 10! An option to consider.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September festivals

You're welcome, VickiAnne. I bet you'll have a great time.

Blandine - sounds like a good idea!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
67 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September festivals

These events sound wonderful. I will be in the area during that time. I'd like to know more about the Meissen wine festival. I found something on the Internet but the link would not open.

I plan to spend the nights of Sept. 8 and 9 in Leipzig, so would like to know about events ther at that time, too.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
67 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September festivals

The website indicates that the exhibition in Gorlitz was in 2011.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September festivals

Of course, the thread is from 2011 :-)

The Meißen wine festival is 21-23 Sept. You probably referred to the open wineries weekend, right? That's the last weekend of August - here's the link:

…elbland.de/opencms/…

I doubt the flyer for download is in English. But you can get an idea where to look and go. Schloss Wackerbarth, Schloss Hofloessnitz are highly recommended. Ditto the other, smaller wineries in Radebeul. And that's where you can get to most easily.

9. Re: September festivals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dresden