We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Dresden - Some Serious Questions

1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Dresden - Some Serious Questions

Hi all,

I am planning to move to Dresden with my family (wife and three small kids) within a few months, as my employer will be moving me for work. My wife and I have been quite concerned with the PEGIDA rallies which are taking place, and what appears to be a general anti-multiculturalism sentiment in Dresden. We are from Canada but non-white, so this has us quite concerned.

Whenever I research what Dresden is like for visible minorities all I seem to find are articles and quotes from immigrants discussing attacks and racist behaviour from locals. My thinking is that this is probably just a small subset of the population, but then again I have never been to Dresden so I'm not sure.

I plan to send my kids to the international school which seems to be quite open and tolerant, but I am in all seriousness genuinely concerned about the safety of my family. Can I take my kids to play in the park without encountering stares/glares or any rude comments? Can we go to the shopping mall and just walk around without encountering any issues? I don't want my wife to feel insecure while I am at work and she goes out to run errands, pick the kids up from school etc.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight who has lived or is living in Dresden.

Thank you!

Germany
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Dresden - Some Serious Questions

> Whenever I research what Dresden is like for visible minorities all I seem to find are articles and quotes from immigrants discussing attacks and racist behaviour from locals.

The reason why you only find such posts is that there's no reason anyone would post about regular, non-racist behaviour. What's the point in posting "I was not attacked today!"???

My HK-Chinese-Canadian exchange student for three months this summer loved his stay in Dresden and felt perfectly safe (unlike in other European cities, but I won't open that can of worms here.) There are thousands of non-white people in Dresden who feel safe. And live a totally normal life. Lots of them are employed at research institutes like Fraunhofer, Helmholtz, Leibniz, the Tech University, the hospitals and so on.

As for Pegida - they can hardly attract more than one or two thousand participants in their Monday demonstrations (which are not violent, btw), and of those are about 2/3 from other towns in distances from up to 50 km or so. Basically (to simplify here) they protest against the immigration policy of the German government, are not against foreigners (white or not) who work (with permit) or study or so.

In short and somewhat drastic: As long as you don't hang around the main railway station during the day selling drugs you'll be perfectly fine.

2. Re: Moving to Dresden - Some Serious Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 22, 2018