We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

Surrey, UK.
Level Contributor
18 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

Take the train from Dresden, upstream along the bank of the Elbe. This service operates half-hourly, servicing, eg., Pirna, Bad Schandau; from Pirna, the line runs next to the river, very scenic. The trains terminate alternately at Bad Schandau, or (a few minutes further on) Schöna. If you continue to Schöna, the station nestles on the bank of the river, but without Schöna itself being evident. However, down steps directly from the station is a ferry jetty, the ferry for which will take you across the river to Hrensko - welcome to Czechoslovakia!

Hrensko is a small village, running along the road following a stream which flows into the Elbe - you will hence be walking directly away from the Elbe. The first sight is of a canyon of stalls, end-on-end, selling all manner of goods, principally clothing (it seemed); where they get sufficient custom for all this stuff, goodness' knows. Keep walking, and after a while the stalls thin out and you get to a normal townscape which includes many restaurants, most with terraces, many overlooking the stream referred above. It is very pleasant (once you keave the stalls behind).

We had lunch in the Hotel Praha, and very satisfactory it was, too; it was also extremely good value.

After lunch, you can walk back down to the ferry, cross to Schöna station and get the train back to Dresden - train leaves hourly, takes about one hour to get back to Dresden, half of which is along the river bank. Enjoy your visit to Czechoslovakia!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

What's this - a recommendation for time travel? Please note that Czechoslovakia ceased to exist 25 years ago.

Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

Due to tobacco products plus alcohol being very cheap, there is always plenty of custom. Plenty of 'designer brand' clothing at bargain prices too. They may look the genuine article. Rest assured, they're not.

Slovakia
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

I sometimes miss Czechoslovakia....wish it was so easy to return there haha

Surrey, UK.
Level Contributor
18 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

Oops! You are quite right, BlandineForberg. My apologies (but then I always was a bit behind the times).

I hope it does not detract too much from the intent of the item.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

Capelle,

I think you have proposed an excellent day excursion.

According to the Czechs and Slovaks I have spoken to, it was a bad idea to split the country.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
696 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

There is hiking in Hrensko that I want to do, I didn't realise it was so easy to get there by train. Do you know if this takes you to where the hike into the canyon starts, the one where there is a small boat the punts you down the stream?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

It's a bit more than 1 km iinto the side valley where the canyon trails take a turn right.

What the OP didn't mention is that every other S1 train terminates in Bad Schandau. Only for the departures Dresden Hbf 7.59, 9.59 ... etc you can change to train U28 in Bad Schandau which runs via Schöna to Decin. For departure 8.59, 10.59 ... etc you're out of luck, must wait a half hour for the next S1.

Same back - so better check schedules.

www.vvo-online.de

8. Re: From Dresden: Lunch in Czechoslovakia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 14, 2018