We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 posts
Save Topic
Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

I am choosing the way I am going to travel to Saarbrucken and one of the options is with airplane to Franckfurt Hahn (fight is really cheap to this airport) but I am not sure how can I get to Saarbrucken after that. I only find one old schedule of shuttle bus from 2007. Is there a direct connection between the airport and Saarbrucken?

Thank you in advance

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

The direct shuttle buses to Saarbrücken are no more.

One option would be by shuttle bus to Trier and from there by train.

www.hahn-airport.de/default.aspx…

Disadvantage is that these shuttle buses do not stop directly at Trier Hbf - thus you need additionally a city bus.

Than there are also a few connections via Kirn or Idar-Oberstein.

DB timetable

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

To: Saarbruecken

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

The connections via Kirn or Idar-Oberstein are the ones coming up with a travel time of 2:xx. DB timetable does not have the schedule of the shuttle buses to Trier.

Are you traveling alone or with others?

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Thank you for your fast reply :)

I am going to travel alone and with the information you gave me I think am going to choose flying to Frankfurt Main and then train to Saarbrucken. It will be my first time in German and also I am not speakin the language, so I will choose the easiest, not the cheapest way to travel (although with all these conections I am not sure that it will be cheap to travel from Frankfurt Hahn)

I am going to be in the University of Saarland for two months starting in middle of February.

May be I will have more questions, becouse I intend to travel around Saarbrucken in my free time :) It will be nice to plan my weekends in Germany in advance!

Best Regards

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

There are a number of special tickets covering the Saarland and neighboring regions.

bahn.de/regional/…ueb_freizeit.shtml

Saarland-Ticket/Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket is a day ticket covering all local public transport (regional trains, buses, trams) in the states Saarland and Rhineland-Palatinate. EUR 21 for 1 person. The ticket is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

This ticket would cover the trip from Hahn Airport to Saarbrücken using the public buses to Kirn or Idar-Oberstein. Also an option when traveling from Frankfurt Airport: single ticket to Mainz (EUR 3,90) and from there on you can travel on a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket to Saarbrücken.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Saarbruecken

Via: Mainz

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Shuttle from Hahn to Luxembourg-Gare and then Saarbruecken Express, last departure from Luxembourg-Gare is at 19;15.

cfl.lu/CFLInternet/Espaces/01EspaceVoyageurs…

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Thank you for all the information. I will use it :)

Sofia, Bulgaria
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Hello. I am going to Saarbrucken in May. I will take plane to Frankfurt Hahn and after that I'm wondering which route to choose. I have a question - I saw that a shuttle bus is going to Idar Oberstain and it's cheap. Is this bus going to the Bahnhof of the city? I think if this is it it's very fast and cheap route. And I am thinking about a train from there to Saarbrucken. Any advices?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

> Is this bus going to the Bahnhof of the city?

Bahnhof. Albeit quite central anyway.

…orn-online.de/busfahrplan_idar-oberstein.htm

> And I am thinking about a train from there to Saarbrucken. Any advices?

See my answers #1 and #3.

Sofia, Bulgaria
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

I've read your posts, but I'm still a little bit confused. What does this mean - The connections via Kirn or Idar-Oberstein are the ones coming up with a travel time of 2:xx.? As I can see the time table there are 4 buses a day to Idar-Oberstein. And as I can understand the time table and the information the buses to Idar Oberstein are going to the Bahnhof (It's written Idar-Oberstein Bhf.) It's a good choice for me this because the trip with train from there is 1 hour only and also I will not change the train (And it's very cheap and there are trains one at every hour). The bus to Kirn is not useful for me because I'm gonna be at the airport at Hahn at 8:00 and I'll need some time to look around, to take my luggage and so on. There is a little chance I could miss it.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

You can check with the DB timetable also for connections via Idar-Oberstein only.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Saarbrücken Hbf

and add a stopover

Via: Idar-Oberstein

Sofia, Bulgaria
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there buses from Saarbrucken to Frankfurt Hahn airport

Yeah, I think this is best for me... So there are a lot of busses from Idar Oberstein, I think I'll be able to catch this bus in 10:20 - I'll have enough time. The question is when should I buy thicket for this bus? I know for the train the earlier, the better so... But If i buy ticket for the train at 12:05 but I miss it, could I take another train after that with the sma ticket? (So 2 questions from me). Sorry for my stupidity but this is my first time going anywhere abroad alone :D