We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

U.S.
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

I and 3 others plan to take the train from Trier to Moselkern on Mayday, catch the Burgenbus to Burg Eltz, and then return to Moselkern. Should we purchase a Rheinland-Pfalz minigroup day pass, or is there a less expensive VRT or similar day pass that will cover both the trains and the Burgenbus? Thank you for your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,352 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
431 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

I am not too sure about the train part of this, but I will say that I just stayed in Cochem, took the train to Moselkern and hiked to Burg Eltz. If you have any interest in hiking this was an amazing way to do it. It is what I would call a medium hike, no major hills or inclines but does take about 4 hours round trip. Just a suggestion then the train comes regularly back to Trier, I am just not sure if that is the right choice, though I wan't to say it is a good way to go. Regardless Burg Eltz is a great place to go.

You can google hiking to Burg Eltz and it gives perfect directions, if you are interested in a hike. The area is fantastic, if you have never been.

Mentioned in this post
Cochem
Cochem
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,352 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Trier
Trier
U.S.
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

Thanks for the suggestion but I won't have 4 hours available for hiking that day.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket is the ticket to use for this trip.

Your trip goes beyond the VRT (Trier) area into the VRM local public transport area. And the best ticket deal covering both local public transport associations is the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

The hike from the station in Moselkern takes a little more than an hour, one way.

Coming from Trier, you would board the bus at Hatzenport. You will be at the castle about one hour after arriving at Hatzenport. I suggest you walk at least one way from the castle to Moselkern.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

Kathy, you said return to Moselkern. Did you mean, day-return to Trier? The two reasons for asking are: Luggage (storage?), and The Rhine River. If your vacation does not include the The Rhine valley, the itinerary makes sense. You're getting very close to the junction of the Moselle and the Rhine - i.e. Koblenz. If your group is actually going on to another valley of castles, Burg Eltz (the holy grail of Rick Steves travel book readers) may not be the best or only castle you'll have a shot at. Burg Eltz is very attractive, especially from the exterior. And while I certainly have not been to all of them, I don't think anyone would say it is the "best" castle in Germany.

My very personal opinion was that the /interior/ of Burg Eltz was too much like visiting an occupied stately-home or British royal castle, and not enough like visiting a medieval castle. Your mileage may vary.

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Rhine River
Rhine River
846 Reviews
Rhine Valley
Rhine Valley
243 Reviews
Moselle
Moselle
Grand Est, France
Koblenz
Koblenz
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,352 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
U.S.
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

Thanks for everyone's help. Based on your advice, I've decided to get a Rheinland-Pfalz Pass online and take the train from Trier to Treis-Karden, rather than Moselkern. Treis-Karden seems to have better train-Burgenbus connection times than Hatzenport. The pass does include the Burgenbus. We'll then return on the Burgenbus to Treis-Karden and catch the train back to Trier. We will just be carrying a day pack.

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
7. Re: Trier-Moselkern-Burg Eltz-Return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 21, 2015