We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car theft in Mainz?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
car theft in Mainz?

I have a silly question to ask. Is it a pretty safe city that I can leave luggage in the car in a parking lot for a few hours?

we will be driving from Bacharach to Alsace France but really want to stop by Mainz for a few hours on the way there. We will have our two big luggage in the back seat (won't be able to cover it up).

St. Stephan's Church (Stephanskirche)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Mainz Cathedral (Dom)
Sacred & Religious Sites
Markt
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gutenberg Museum
History Museums, Specialty Museums
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car theft in Mainz?

Should not be a problem. Leave you car in a supervised car park if it makes you feel better.

Just dont leave cameras, notebooks or purses on top of your luggage.

Edited: 1:59 pm, May 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car theft in Mainz?

oh, thanks! do you know any good supervised car park around the Cathedrale area? or any bad or more seedy neighbourhood i should avoid parking there?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car theft in Mainz?

no matter where you are in the world, if you leave luggage in open view, there is always a risk of theft. doesnt matter if its germany, england, france etc, yobbos live everywhere

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car theft in Mainz?

follow these signs

…bremen.de/fastmedia/…parkhaus.png.3444.png

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car theft in Mainz?

how do you think storing them at the train station locker? but dont know if they fit.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car theft in Mainz?

Why don't you put the luggage in the trunk of the car rather than in the back seat? If it is too big, perhaps reconsider how much you are bringing with you and use smaller suitcases?

GPS systems are the most common things stolen. Thieves break the windows and snatch them off of the dashboard. Have had 2 friends had this happen to them. One was at a youth hostel up on a mountain, nice and rural, and the other one parked their car on the street for 5 min. to run into a store. This was in Germany, not big cities.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car theft in Mainz?

Because they probably rent a small car?

I don't get any suitcase in the "boot" of my car.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
9,044 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car theft in Mainz?

Not much to worry about. Parking garages in the city are usually too busy for thieves. They'd rather go for cars parked in quiet suburban streets. Most garages are also camera controlled.

If you want to visit the oldtown and the Dom you may choose any one of these public garages: Rathaus, Am Brand (although that's a rather dark and confusing one), Römisches Theater. There's absolutely no free parking in Mainz.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car theft in Mainz?

Thank you all. Of course I'm not going to leave any gps or electronic device visible or most likely just bring it with us. Mainly is the luggage because our trunk will be too small to fit two luggage so back seat will have to be flipped down. Worst case is that we will park at the train station and store our luggage there.

10. Re: car theft in Mainz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 27, 2015