We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend of 10 May 2014

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend of 10 May 2014

Hi

Wife and I fly into Frankfurt am Main on Saturday night from Singapore. Flight scheduled to arrive 8.40pm. Had planned on staying in Mainz on the Saturday night as we are meeting up with friends from Neuss on the Sunday who will be driving to meet us.

Sunday night will be staying at Frankfurt Hahn airport as we fly out early Monday morning to Portugal.

Had looked at various websites a few weeks ago and there was plenty of availability for rooms on the Saturday night in Mainz. Have now looked again and there is now limited choice.

Will most likely catch the train from Frankfurt am Main on the Saturday and already have the timetables. As the flight arrives around 8.40pm I expect that we will not be in Mainz until around 10.30pm so want to make sure whatever I book will still have reception open and not a long walk from HBF. Budget is around 100 euros so choice is indeed very limited with my requirements.

My question is that is there anything going on in Mainz on 10 May 2014 or is it that Mainz is very popular on a Saturday night?

Many hanks for any assistance or comments.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend of 10 May 2014

There is a marathon in Mainz on May 11th, so it could very well be that hotels are filling up with runners from out of town. Note that it will be impossible to get into the city by car that Sunday until early afternoon.

brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend of 10 May 2014

Thanks for such a quick response.

It explains why choice of hotels are limited for that night. Will check with friends but most likely will now book hotel at the airport.

brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend of 10 May 2014

Have been rethinking where to stay. We arrive at around 8.40pm and body clock would still be on Australian time. Looking at alternatives to Mainz to stay that are within an hour of airport and we could explore on the Sunday morning before friends arrived.

Stayed in Frankfurt on last trip and have explored it already. Town would have to be big enough to have a hotel where you could still check in after 10.00pm.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend of 10 May 2014

Check out Wiesbaden: https://www.wiesbaden.de/en/tourism/index.php

Easy train connection from the airport (and also to Mainz for the bus to Hahn the next day) and itself surely worth a visit. Plenty of restaurants and cafes for lunch with your friends the next day, the old town, Kurpark or Neroberg make for pleasant sightseeing walks.

I don't know how much the Mainz marathon affects the availibility of hotel rooms. Motel One next to Hauptbahnhof would be very convenient for you.

Edited: 9:08 am, March 19, 2014
5. Re: Weekend of 10 May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, March 21, 2015