We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz & Neustrelitz

Saint Louis...
8 posts
Save Topic
Mainz & Neustrelitz

I have 4 days to visit the cities where my ancestors are from, Neustrelitz and Mainz. I will start my trip from Lucerne, Switzerland and end up in Frankfurt am Main. This is my first trip to Europe, so I am not exactly sure what would be the best way to get around. My father and daughter are going with me. Should we rent a car and drive to these places, or would it be easier to take a train to Frankfurt and get a hotel there and then take a day trip to Neustrelitz? Also, what would be some things we would should do in these places? Are there any castles that would be worth visiting?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz & Neustrelitz

Hello mon2jaj & welcome to TA,

I'm currenty planning a trip to Germany and have found these features really helpful when checking out a 'new' destination. As a newbie you've probably not noticed them because there is so much on the page.

Upper left "Things to do" gave me plenty for my must see list.

Directly above your post is a search box. Once I had a few things on my list, I put each of these into the search box and was able to find out more from people who'd been there

I also used the search box to look for things like "trip report' or 'just back report' - lots of useful info

Just reading through posts on the forum for each city I want to visit has been great - each city in Germany has a tourism site and it can usually be found at www.*city name* .de you may have to look for an icon to get the english version.

and the trains - www.bahn.de again look for the icon which allow you to see the english version - dead easy. We're looking at using trains for our whole trip because we drive on the other side of the road and winter drivng in europe isn't something I'm brave enough to try.

cheers

helen

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz & Neustrelitz

A day trip from Frankfurt to Neustrelitz isn't possible! Neustrelitz is more than 600km (370 miles) away from Frankfurt. It would be possible from Berlin however.

Neustrelitz is in the Mecklenburg Lake District, a popular summer destination. The area is only sparsely populated, I would advice to get a car if you want to explore this region (for Mainz and/or Frankfurt a car isn't needed). The town itself had a castle once, but it was completely destroyed in WW2, and only the large park of the castle survived. The town itself was the residence of a duchy once and is quite pleasant. Popular sights in the area are the Müritz lake, the second largest lake of Germany, castle and park of Rheinsberg, where Prussian king Frederick II. spend his youth, or Neubrandenburg, which is quite unique because it offers a town centre full of Commie blocks from the 50s (the town was destroyed in WW2) surrounded by a perfectly preserved medieval town wall.

I would recommend to get a car and spend one night in the area. Maybe in Waren (Müritz), which is a cute old town on the northern shore of the Müritz.

BTW: in case your ancestors emigrated in the later 19th century from Neustrelitz: some of Theodor Fontanes novels are about this region, especially "Der Stechlin", a lake a few kilometers away from Neustrelitz.

Saint Louis...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainz & Neustrelitz

Thank you for your reply and for the book recommendation. We just recently found out that my great grandfather was born in Neustrelitz and we know NOTHING about the area. We were planning a trip to Frankfurt & Mainz and now have to include Neustrelitz at the last minute. Thank you so much for your recommendations.

Saint Louis...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mainz & Neustrelitz

Helen -

Thank you for the helpful hints. I am really nervous about this trip since it is my first time out of the US. Although I was told Germans drive on the right side of the road, just as we do in the US, so driving in Germany sounds like it will be a bit of fun! Thanks again & enjoy your trip to Germany!

5. Re: Mainz & Neustrelitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 pm, June 22, 2013