We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz verses Bingen

Manasquan, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Mainz verses Bingen

We will arrive in Frankfurt. Can I get your opinion on which towns to stay in while sightseeing the Rhine? We were planning on 2 nights in Mainz or Bingen,sightseeing this area via train or boat, then 2 nights in Kamp Bornhofen, then on to Cologne via train. Does this make sense to anyone?

St. Stephan's Church (Stephanskirche)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Mainz Cathedral (Dom)
Sacred & Religious Sites
Markt
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gutenberg Museum
History Museums, Specialty Museums
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz verses Bingen

Kamp Bornhofen isn't much itself - pretty dull even in high season. It's not far from Boppard via the ferry near Filsen, and not far from Braubach, the home of Marksburg, but in this part of the river valley, I would prefer Boppard, which is larger and offers more in the way of dining and things to see/do do and in the off-season is a bit livelier.

It occurs to me that you might also just stay in Bingen the entire time, if that is one of the towns you've zeroed in on. By train, Mainz is only 30 minutes to the south, Boppard only 30 minutes to the north. From Bingen you can take daytrips by train to these towns and throughout region on the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (daypass) for 24 Euros per day for two traveling together:

vrminfo.de/en/…

Bingen isn't quite as nice as Boppard, but it does have a pleasant town center with a number of restaurants and a particularly scenic setting at the mouth of the Rhine gorge. With 4 nights, you should be able to find an apartment where you could settle in for a while. Pull down the English option on the right where the German flag is:

bingen.de/de/2/uebernachten_ferienwohnungen.…

Manasquan, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz verses Bingen

Very helpful, thank you. I was looking at Kamp Bornhofen as a destination only to stay 2 nights in the castle hotel above the river. However, now I will consider your options.From the Frankfurt airport I will look at staying In the middle of the Rhine between Bingen and Cologne, Cologne, being my next destination. 4 days enough beween the 2 destinations?

3. Re: Mainz verses Bingen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 11, 2012