We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Mainz seems nicer in everyway then Frankfurt.

We are getting off the plane for 2 days from the Frankfurt Airport. So want to recoup after flying from Canada, on our way to France.

We would like to do a few touristy things but would be happy not in too busy of a city?

would it be much too much longer of a train ride from the airport to Mainz? Or should we just stay in Frankfurt?

Thank you.

Oh it's JUly 23 for 2 days. :)

Michele

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

OOPS. RMV is right, of course. Combo machines. I like that.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

you are so helpful!!

> Which Frankfurt station is the origin from FRA if I use the website, please?<

You answered my question with Flugenhafen--thanks!!

Not knowing German I didn';t think to look for a word regarding flying! Silly me!

Thanks about info for cash vs credit card. I will have euros and we'll spend the coins..

I also appreciate having the name of the destination point for the line. I was told it was the S8 line tho--it that correct? Danke!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,525 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

S8 or a regional train. See the previously linked RMV timetable.

The regional trains are faster as they stop less often. Albeit it normally makes no sense to wait - just hop on the next train towards Mainz.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Didn't realize they were different (remember my ignorant reference!!?)

So many thanks! Glad you were her in the forums--I'm off for NY tomorrow.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
99 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Michelle,

i stay in Mainz regularly- at the Hilton City which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the main train station. It's also about 5 minutes to the DOM, and the edge of "Old Town". Great Restaurants everywhere ( i can recomend if you need ) there are a couple Roman museums ( very small ) Wonderful park and walking, also paths along the river.

Much more relaxed than Frankfurt which is a "city".

my family and i walked to the train station, bought tickets to the airport and it's 20? - 25 minutes to the terminal. ( a Large terminal by the way. make sure you have good directions, or a few exra minutes to find things. )

The ampithetre at the other train station is interesting as well. Good Luck

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
448 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Now I am confused! What is the MRT station in Mainz? Is it the Romsches Theater station, and is it the stop before the main train station, coming from the Frankfurt airport (on the local S8?)

And...I understand I don't use the DB machine, but am confused by the entries: "Use a VRM ticket machine at the airport station to get your ticket".

"RMV not VRM. And I think they have already the new combined RMV/DB ticket machines at the airport."

17. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:43 am, June 21, 2013