We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Mainz seems nicer in everyway then Frankfurt.

We are getting off the plane for 2 days from the Frankfurt Airport. So want to recoup after flying from Canada, on our way to France.

We would like to do a few touristy things but would be happy not in too busy of a city?

would it be much too much longer of a train ride from the airport to Mainz? Or should we just stay in Frankfurt?

Thank you.

Oh it's JUly 23 for 2 days. :)

Michele

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Mainz is about twice as far from the airport as the center of Frankfurt is, but in the other direction. The S-bahns and regional trains serving the airport travel between these two cities so there is frequent service either way.

You also have the option of a third large city to the west across the Rhine from Mainz, Wiesbaden. All three cities are significantly different, just look them up on the Internet and also look at pictures of them. I'm sure that they all have their good points and in and around any of them you could have an enjoyable stay.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Mainz Roemisches Theater

To: Mainz Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Single ticket is EUR 3,90. No difference on this if you travel to Frankfurt or Mainz.

Mainz is 20-26 minutes from Frankfurt Airport. Thus no more than Vancouver downtown is from Vancouver airport.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

Mainz is a largely non-touristy place that's quite enjoyable for a short visit like yours; roaming the pedestrianized old-town area and modern shopping area (just to the north of the old town) without the buzz of traffic is a relaxing introduction to Germany.

I would try to get a room in that area for the best atmosphere. The bulk of hotels are concentrated logically enough near the main train station, however, an area that is sort of boring and a good distance from the old town, and staying there means a fairly long walk to the fun part of Mainz. There aren't a lot of hotels in/near the old town; there's the Hyatt Regency on the river, the Ibis on Holzhofstrasse (a block from the MRT train station) and the Hof Ehrenfels, a small, older place right in the heart of the old town. I've stayed at the Ibis a couple of times and enjoyed my stay, not because of the great atmosphere :) but because of the great location near the river, the St. Stephans Church (Chagall windows,) the Dom, the Marktplatz and the old town. And with just a few steps, you're at the MRT station which connects to FRA in about 20 min. and to Mainz' main station in about 3. The MRT station, by the way, is where an old Roman theatre is being unearthed (trackside, back part of station.)

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

can one swim in that river in the summer?

So Mainz is about 1/2 hr away from the train? And Frankfurt is 15 min.s away?

And this other place is how far?

Going to check that link now.

Thank you guys!

Michele

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

what do I type in if I want to go to Frankfurt? I start at Frankfurt main, then what?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

> And this other place is how far?

Wiesbaden? Just across the Rhine from Mainz.

http://www.wiesbaden.de/en/

Middle Rhine Valley? 20-60 minutes from Mainz.

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/

> can one swim in that river in the summer?

No. Due the heavy boat traffic and the fast currents too dangerous.

> I start at Frankfurt main, then what?

Frankfurt(Main) or Frankfurt(M) or Frankfurt/Main means Frankfurt at the (river) Main. Has nothing to do with the English word main.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

to the main train station

To: Frankfurt(Main)Hbf

to the Hauptwache, a stop in the mid of the city center

To: Frankfurt(M)Hauptwache

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

I hardly ever use local trains when in Europe, so excuse my ignorance. Thanks for the link.

I am also confused--does the train from FRA airport require a change or does it go direct (with stops) to Mainz Hauptbahnhof? I'm staying at the Novotel. Which Frankfurt station is the origin from FRA if I use the website, please? Is it more expensive to buy a ticket at the airport than online?

Many thanks, folks!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

The train from FRA will "go direct (with stops) to Mainz Hauptbahnhof."

Your hotel is closest to the main station (Mainz Hbf.)

FRA has two stations - the Fernbhahnhof for long distance trains and the Regionalbahnhof for local trains (like the ones to Mainz.)

The airport station name for your train is (copy and paste)...

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf

Use a VRM ticket machine at the airport station to get your ticket. This is the machine for the local transit authority - not the DB machine. It's 4.10€, I think, for a trip to Mainz, and the machine takes real money.

Edited: 12:06 pm, January 26, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

RMV timetable

www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/query.exe/en

To: Mainz - Oberstadt, Augustusstraße 6

> Which Frankfurt station is the origin from FRA if I use the website, please?

Sorry - no idea what you mean.

> Is it more expensive to buy a ticket at the airport than online?

No. You cannot buy the tickets for the regional trains or S-Bahn trains online anyway.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Slightly confused about distance from Frankfurt Airport

> Use a VRM ticket machine at the airport station to get your ticket. This is the machine for the local transit authority - not the DB machine.

RMV not VRM. And I think they have already the new combined RMV/DB ticket machines at the airport.

rmv.de/en/…RMV-Fahrkartenautomaten.html

> It's 4.10€, I think, for a trip to Mainz, and the machine takes real money.

EUR 4,10 is correct. The machines accept coins and bank notes. Change is given back only in coins however. A bit tricky: while you can pay for DB tickets by credit card at the same ticket machine, you cannot pay for RMV tickets by credit card. Some other electronic cards are accepted - but you won't have any of these cards.