We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine trip

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rhine trip

In May my family (2 adults, 3 children - 8,10,12) and I are staying overnight in St Goar (coming from Cologne). Our wish is to see as much of the Rhine as possible before making our way to Rothenburgh ob der Tauber. We are travelling through and intend using trains and local ferries. We have very limited time. Any advice ?

MW

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine trip

Just one night?

Then leave Cologne early and St. Goar late the next day.

Day 1: Take train to Koblenz; drop bags in station lockers. Train to Braubach (no lockers at this station) to tour Marksburg, the best one-stop castle tour on the Rhine:

www.marksburg.de

Train back to Koblenz for bags and on to St. Goar for the afternoon.

Day 2: See Rheinfels Castle ruins and museum that morning. In addition, or alternatively: Ferry over to St. Goarshausen and walk north to see Burg Maus' free-flight falconry show (11 and 2:30 pm, closed Mondays.) This castle is a 30-min walk along the riverfront from St. Goarshausen (or taxi.)

burg-maus.de/voell/burgmaus/bildgalerie.php

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine trip

When my kids were the age of yours, a guided tour of Marksburg may not have worked. My kids were inquisitive but not patient.

Rheinfels at St. Goar is great because it is self paced and in the open with great views down on the Rhine.

A walk along the river front at St. Goar is also interesting with views across the river at another castle, the village of St. Goarhausen and the rapids of the Lorelei. The kid in me loves to watch the working barges along the river and how the ferries have to maneuver (sometimes a u turn in a rapid current) to dock.

Regards, Gary

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine trip

Another very special castle yyou and the kids might enjoy is Pfalzgrafenstein, or the "Pfalz", in Kaub. It is located on a rock in the middle of the river and built in the shape of a ship. To visit it, you cross from Kaub to the island on a small ferry boat. The guided tour of the castle does not take very long.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine trip

Re: The Marksburg

There are three ways to get to the castle from the boat dock:

Hike up, take a taxi or take the little tram. When you get off the boat, look to your right for the church steeple. The office for the tram is right next door. No one was there when we arrived, but I called the number on the window and the tram arrived in about 20 minutes. In the mean time, we walked up the street to the bakery and got a snack.

There is a tourist information office in Brabauch but it is hard to find and, when we were there, the staff spoke limited English.

The castle is great especially if you can get an English language tour. No frills or gimmicks here; just the real deal. There is a small display of armour and a display of medieval torture implements. Great views over the Rhine.

We stayed a Bacharach and traveled from there to Rothenburg ob der Tauber using group tickets. Here the link to my report on how we traveled:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k2995…

5. Re: Rhine trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 26, 2010