We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel to Rudesheim

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel to Rudesheim

We are interested in taking a K-D cruise leaving from Rudesheim. I can see on the DB timtable that trains go from Mainz to Bingen, but can't be sure that there is a train from Mainz to Rudesheim on the morning of Oct 13. Can you please assist?

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

Go to the K-D Line and German Rail websites to confirm this, just to make sure I got it right.

It looks like a boat leaves Rudesheim at 9:15am .

If you leave Mainz at 8:12, you'll change in Wiesbaden and get to Rudesheim at 9:01 .

From the DB website...

Tu, 13.10.09

Mainz Hbf depart 08:12 track 3 a

(train id) RB 15706 Regionalbahn

change at

Wiesbaden Hbf arrive 08:25 track 6

Wiesbaden Hbf depart 08:36 track 1

(train id) RE 15402 Regional-Express

arrive at

Rüdesheim(Rhein) 9:01

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

Rudesheim is a village in the Nahe valley.

The one you are talking about is named Rüdesheim - alternative spelling: Ruedesheim if you cannot type the Umlaut. Use the correct spelling, otherwise the Bahn website does not recognize the right destination.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

If you just want to go on the boat I would do this in Bingen where the boat calls 10 minutes after leaving Rüdesheim. Rüdesheim as such is more interesting than Bingen, but if you just go from the train station to the boat pier this plays no role.

As you already have detected it's easier and faster to get to Bingen from Mainz, as both are on the same side of the Rhine. Bingen Stadt stop is closer to the piers than Bingen Hbf station. But also from the latter you're in walking distance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

Many thanks for this information and advice. Yes, the typing of umlaut is a problem.

Shropshire,England
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

I want to travel from Mainz to Rudesheim. Is there a direct rail or bus link between the two towns or do I need to travel via Wiesbaden. I am also considering travelling from Mainz to Rudesheim by boat.Which is the best way? Which is the quickest way? Which is the cheapest way? Can you help? Thank you

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

>I want to travel from Mainz to Rudesheim. Is there a direct rail or bus link between the two towns or do I need to travel via Wiesbaden.

There is no bus link as there is a good rail connection.

For the schedules, go to www.bahn.de

I am also considering travelling from Mainz to Rudesheim by boat.Which is the best way? Which is the quickest way? Which is the cheapest way? Can you help?

Read the thread for the answers.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

>Yes, the typing of umlaut is a problem.

It is no problem at all if you know the trick. You can substitute the Umlaut by inserting an extra "e".

ö = oe

ä = ae

ü = ue

This is a perfectly correct and accepted alternative spelling which became popular in the times of the first typewriters which did not have keys for the Umlaute. (In fact, the roots are much deeper, the dots on the vowel derive from a little e that was written above the vowel in late medieval handwriting.)

Simply omitting the Umlaut as the English speaking world, including our dear TripAdvisor, prefers to do is not allowed and may lead to misunderstandings and detours. Münster and Munster, for example, are two completely different places, as are Rudesheim and Rüdesheim. Looking up train connections to "Fussen" also leads to confusion...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

Thanks for the umlaut tip. Cheers.

9. Re: Train travel to Rudesheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2010