We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine Cruises - duration of a cruise

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RSA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Rhine Cruises - duration of a cruise

We are thinking of taking a Rhine Cruise at E52.50 each between Mainz & Cologne instead of taking the train. I could not find out how long the cruise takes on the KD website and would appreciate hearing from someone that has taken the cruise.

We would also like to know the following -

1. can we can sit where we like on the ship or are specific seats are assigned to us and

2. can get off the ship along the way and get on the next ship going the same way ? Thanks.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
180 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine Cruises - duration of a cruise

www.kd-rhein-main.de/html/Hauptsaison.html

as far as I understand this, you would start 8.45 am and arrive 20h (8pm). So about 11 hours on a ship.. I would not do this. You can move on the ship and sit wherever you want (as far as I know), there is music and a restaurant.

Do yourself a favor, take a train, and than book a shorter day tour from cologne.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine Cruises - duration of a cruise

k-d.com/englisch/…fahrplan-rhein-peak.html

There is only one daily boat from Mainz to Cologne.

Mainz dep 08:45

Cologne arr 20:00

Most frequent boat service is between Bingen and Koblenz, the most scenic part of this route.

k-d.com/englisch/…fahrplan-rhein-peak.html

1. You can seat where you like. There is no reservation system at all.

2. Yes. But you have to tell the staff about this beforehand.

This won't work however if you travel the whole trip Mainz to Cologne by boat as there is only one.

But I would anyway recommend to use the boats only for the most scenic part and take the train for the rest. A valid train ticket will give you a 20% discount on the KD boat fare by the way.

3. Re: Rhine Cruises - duration of a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, January 10, 2010