We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KD Boat from Mainz

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
KD Boat from Mainz

I know plenty of people have suggested starting at a different point on the Rhine, but we are kind of interested in starting in Mainz and ending in St. Goar. We will be coming into Mainz Hbf from Frankfurt Hbf on the S-Bahn. My questions are as follows:

#1 There are 2 adults - what is the cheapest ticket to buy for the KD line for us on a weekday?

#2 Does the KD ticket office accept credit cards?

#3 What is the nearest train station to the KD Dock in St. Goar?

#4 Which side of the river (going downstream) does the boat stop - left or right bank - in St. Goar?

I think that's it for now!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Hi, thanks for the update on boat trip. We are leaving on Sunday to Frankfurt (also from TEXAS), planning to do the boat trip right after, taking the train from FRA to Mainz to drop off luggage and then do the boat trip probably from Bingen. Now that you mention Rudesheim,we might start from there too. do you know if the train station has locker for luggages? so that we don't have to stop at Mainz to store luggage. Also is it easy to ride the train from FRA ? thanks.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Sorry, I don't remember if the train station at Rudesheim had lockers or not... but if you are going to go back to Frankfurt - you could just leave your bags in the lockers there. I think it was 4 euros for the big locker and 2 for the smaller one at Frankfurt Hbf.

The train to Rudesheim was easy. We bought a ticket for the train that left Frankfurt Hbf at 7:53 a.m. and arrived at Rudesheim at 9:01 a.m. The KD Boats leave Rudesheim at 9:15 (which I wouldn't count on making, plus it gives you time to walk around Rudesheim), 10:15 or 11:15 (times that are close to when you arrive - there are more times, and they are posted at the KD Dock).

The train leaving Frankfurt Hbf was RE 10 (or was also called RE 15402) and left from Platform 24 and was heading in the direction of Koblenz Hauptbahnhof. Cost is 10 euros per person. The boat from Rudesheim to St Goar was 16,30 euros each before any discounts (we showed them our train ticket and our Frankfurt pass from the day before and got 15% off from one of them - they didn't say which... just show them everything you have and see if you can get a discount).

St Goar was really worth stopping at as well - the castle there is great to see and is expansive... it's a bunch of ruins, so expect to do a lot of walking if you go.

I would take the boat up further and see more if we had it to do again.

Tickets for the train to Rudesheim are available in the RMV ticket machines (blue colored machines) and you will have to use euros to purchase the tickets.

Hope that helps!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Frankfurt, Wiesbaden and Rüdesheim are all north of the rivers Rhine and Main.

Frankfurt Airport, Mainz and Bingen are south of them. Thus from Frankfurt Airport it's easier/faster to travel to Bingen. 10 minutes after the KD boats departure in Rüdesheim they stop in Bingen, which is just on the opposite side of the Rhine from Rüdesheim.

Mainz Hbf and Bingen Hbf have lockers.

Rüdesheim and Bingen Stadt not. Depends of course also where you want to stay. If you plan to stay in Mainz I would use the lockers there, as otherwise you have to interrupt your journey on the way back to collect your luggage.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

I also would leave my luggage at the Mainz Hbf. It's recently re-built and very modern, and the locker area is easy to find. Bingen is just a short train ride away (a few stops), though I prefer going on to Bacharach, which is a pretty half-timbered village to walk through, then down to the river through a wooded park to the K-D dock. It's easy to find. At the kiosk, you can buy a fold-down pictorial guide that shows the riverboat route hrough the Rhein Valley with descriptions and history of the castles and villages you'll see. it's just a few Euros, and adds to the journey.

Visiting the castle at St. Goar is interesting, though it is completely in ruins. The views from above are outstanding. To see the a castle which survived intact through the centuries, go on to Braubach and see the enormous Marksburg. The interior is incredibly complex and well-preserved. This, however, requires a much longer boat ride, or another day, as it is at the end of the Middle Rhein Gorge on the other side of the river from Koblenz.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

thanks to all your reply, since we are staying the night in Mainz, we will use the locker in Mainz as suggested. In combining all the informaiton gotten from TA, we will cruise Bingen-Braubach, make few stops in some of the interesting towns after the boat and then take the train back to Mainz.I hope a 12-hours day will be enough for all these. I am just so excited about going to Germany!!!!!!!!!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Just a note to Ohya - after Braubach, the more interesting towns are on the other side of the river; plan to change trains for that side in Koblenz, or take the train south to St. Goarshausen and use the ferry to cross over to St. Goar.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Ohya: You didn't mention Marksburg Castle, the main reason for cruising to Braubach. It's worth a tour!!

www.marksburg.de

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

Russ, thanks, we do plan to tour Marksburg as suggested in your other advise. So do we take train from Braubach to Koblenz and then change side? is there a map for Rhine river list all the towns?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

I was interested in this thread because my husband and I are spending two nights in Mainz, mainzly because I have ancestors who came from a nearby village in Pfalz. It is probable they got a Rhine boat in Mainz to come to America. I wanted a Rhine tour that might duplicate a small portion of the trip they made. So if we got the boat in Mainz, would St. Goar be a good stopping point? I have the day set aside for this trip.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: KD Boat from Mainz

That's a 3+-hour boat ride. St. Goar is a good spot - very scenic setting, 3 castles visible from town, one tourable. It's a good place to start a hike along the cliffs for views of the Loreley and the river gorge. It's quite small but there a good number of eateries and hotels. Boppard is another nice but larger town north of St. Goar with a bunch more services and a nice chairlift ride - takes about 1 hour longer to get there by boat.