We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Paso, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Hi all. I was in the American Army outside Mainz in a little town called Wackernheim "20min" bus ride from Mainz. Did 2 tours there 92-96, 99-02. I spent many many days in mainz, shopping, sight seeing, going to clubs. I would sometimes ride from the base to Mainz on my bike "for fun" and the normal single soldier stuff to just get off the base. I still go there every year. To see my 6 year old daughter and to see my friends. If you have any questions about mainz or the area I would be happy to help. If you'r there in Feb 08 I'll see you there. Have fun and be safe. Eric H.

southampton,uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Seattle & Mainz!

Some guys have all the luck!

Coming to Mainz for first time in March while staying in Frankfurt.

Be either for one day look around or two depending on date of soccer game?

Frankfurt only ten minutes in Taxi to my local Airport then 90 minutes by plane!

Budget Airline!!

Love Seattle!

One of my favorite places in the world.

Each time I'm there get on Ferry to Bainbridge Island and go into Winslow supermarket,get some chips,can of beer etc.

Go and sit by the water with radio on and a book and think,WOW IMAGINE LIVING HERE?

Port Orchard nice as well!

DAVE ROBERTS

SOUTHAMPTON

UK

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

HI. I have a choice between Frankfurt & Mainz for a business trip so I will have a few days of free time. Which would you say is better to be located in? Mainz or Frankfurt? What are the pro's & con's of both? What would you suggest?

I love quiant, historic, good food, & culture.

Thanks!

Mindy

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

We will be in Mainz for one day on a river cruise later this month. Would like to know whether we should pay for a ship tour or try to get around on our own. Our German is minimal. Is public transportation good? What are best things to see? We are "senior citizens" and somewhat limited in how long or far we can walk ... a mile is okay.

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Mainz public transport network.

mvg-mainz.de/fileadmin/downloads/fahrplan200…

line number in a circle: trams

line number in a square: bus

A mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket for public transport in Mainz is EUR 8,40.

Mainz (self guided) city tours

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…mkuz-5u6gql.en.html

map with Rhine piers and sights

mainz.de/C1256D6E003D3E93/…piers.pdf

The auburn streets are pedestrian zones.

map of city centre with more sights

mainz.de/C1256D6E003D3E93/…innenstadtplan.pdf

Distance from the Rhine piers (on the right) to the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station on the left) is less than a mile.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Thank you for the great information! It looks as though we could very well see what we want to on our own, especially if we brush up on some German basics!

Thanks again.

Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Hi Eric,

WOW every posting I've seen for the Mainz area is positive. I'm applying for jobs in the area. It looks like the most promising would be the vacancies in Mainz-Kastel, Germany. I don't speak German and was wondering if I would have problems getting around?

Thanks,

Linda

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

Hi Eric,

is it worthwhile going by ferry from Mainz to Sankt Goar? are there any ferries in March? Please advise.

tks

8. Re: some information on Mainz from lots of experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 22, 2009