We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you enter the cathedral

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
How do you enter the cathedral

I was there on a Tuesday evening 5-7pm and a few times I looked for a way in but couldn't find it. Not sure ill ever be back in Mainz but still im intrigued.

Edited: 4:54 pm, October 30, 2018
5 replies to this topic
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
293 reviews
501 helpful votes
1. Re: How do you enter the cathedral

The Cathedral Closes at 17:00. It is a church, not a Tourist site.

dommuseum-mainz.de/information-und-service/…

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
65 reviews
52 helpful votes
2. Re: How do you enter the cathedral

And the entrance is from the market square.

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: How do you enter the cathedral

thanks for letting me know

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
13 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: How do you enter the cathedral

How can it close at 5 p.m., and why do you think that's okay? Some people would like to like a candle or say a short prayer after work. (I know of a friend how does.) How can they do that if the Church closes before they even leave the building? Just saying ...

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
65 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: How do you enter the cathedral

Goodness, Petra... ALL churches have opening hours. Maybe some remote chapel in the countryside does not get locked. In cities they do to prevent vandalism, having homeless sleep in them and what not. I'm sure your pious friend will be familiar with that fact. One doesn't have to go into a church to say a prayer btw.

However, traveler1959 posted the hours of the cathedral's museum. The actual church is open till 18:30 in the summer months except for Saturday when it closes at 16:00. During winter (Nov-Feb) it closes at 17:00 already.

Reply to: How do you enter the cathedral
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted