We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

Not a question but a notice that the Naturhistorisches Museum in Mainz is currently closed. It's apparently reopening in summer 2019.

The friends we were staying with in Mainz suggested going there with our 5-year old son, but when we arrived, it was closed for renovations. Another friend even walked with us to the museum on the day, unaware that it was closed. A bit disappointing, as it looks quite interesting from the reviews on TripAdvisor.

4 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

It just closed after last weekend, so too bad you came too late. They do have some interesting artifacts in there, but the exhibition rooms were a bit dated. Should make for a nicer experience once the museum is renovated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

We tried going there on 2nd October. The doors were closed and the museum looked empty. There was construction fencing around the place too. The website says it’s closed from early November, I believe, but they must have meant 2017!

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

That's odd. Are you sure you went Oct 2, not Oct 1? On Monday the museum is generally closed.

My error: it will be closed for renovations from Nov 1 on! And will have free entry from tomorrow till then...

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz

Yes, we were out of town on the Monday, definitely Tuesday 2nd October. I took the opportunity to go shopping instead, as we were flying out of Germany the next day! :)

Reply to: Naturhistorisches Museum Mainz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted