We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
231 reviews
Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

There are some links to RMV maps in another thread on the forum but some of them are dead. I want to get up early, train or tram to Bodenheim, and then walk the RheinTerrasenWeg to the Hbf (where I will have left my baggage) and then get to FRA for a late afternoon flight.

I see that RB 44 trains run to Bodenheim once or twice an hour, but I would think the S-8 would be more frequent and maybe similar travel time. But I can't find any info on it, like schedules and fares.

I'm also interested in the S-8 vs. regular trains to FRA.

I'll be there the week after next, if that matters. I do see on the German RMV site mention of tunnel construction affecting the S-bahns but that seems to be finished by the time I am there (25 May). TIA!

7 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
231 reviews
1. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

I should also ask, is there a day fare that would cover travel between Mainz and Bodenheim and then Mainz to FRA?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Bodenheim is not served by S8, which goes across the Rhine from Mainz Römisches Theater to Gustavsburg, and it is outside the RMV area, thus not covered by a Mainz-Frankfurt Airport ticket. Best is to buy two separate tickets. The single trip to Bodenheim costs 4 EUR, Mainz to the airport 4,90 EUR.

It may be more convenient for you to put the baggage into a locker at Römisches Theater since the hiking trail's terminus is actually that station.

The tunnel closure in Frankfurt doesn't affect you on that route anyway.

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
231 reviews
3. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Thank you, Oli! I should have said S-6 to Bodenheim I think. Google maps shows a stop there but I can't figure out how to find the schedule.

Good point about the lockers, thanks!

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

That S6 Google maps shows in Bodenheim is a new line coming up from Ludwigshafen. It is part of a different regional transportation network, not the RMV that serves the Mainz-Frankfurt route with line S8.

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
231 reviews
5. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Thanks. Do you have any idea where I can find schedule info online about the S-6 then?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Afaik that S6 doesn’t operate yet. When you check www.bahn.com from Mainz Römisches Theater to Bodenheim the site will give you all the options there are anyway.

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
231 reviews
7. Re: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim

Ha ha, that explains it. I did not see the S6 on the bahn.com site, so I thought it was some different train operator. Thanks much for your kind attention!

Reply to: Up-to-date S-bahn info, Mainz Hbf - Bodenheim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted