We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
794 posts
291 reviews
where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

My daughter will be working at the Mainz State Theater in the fall and wants my husband and I to come for about a month to take care of our granddaughter. They will be staying at Walpodenstrasse 27, so we need to stay within close walking distance of either place, or short ride by public transportation. I only saw one possible apartment within walking distance on Airbnb, and it looks like it doesn't have a shower (just a spray hose in a tub). I also did not see much that seemed suitable or affordable at booking.com.

Can anyone suggest other options? I'd appreciate if you could give me names of specific locations (streets and/or buildings or landmarks) where we should look. We would prefer an apartment with kitchen facilities, but are also willing to consider a hotel room, inn, or bed & breakfast. We'd prefer not to pay less than $3,000 for a 28-day stay, though we realize that may not be possible. We don't need parking but a regular shower is important, and we would also like laundry facilities in the building (though a nearby laundromat is an acceptable alternative). Also, a quiet location is important--not in a busy center with loud traffic or bar/club noise at night.

Mainzelmannchen Ampel
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Roman Aqueduct
Mainz Hauptbahnhof
15 replies to this topic
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Have you thought about hiring a camper. We have and are doing again in August for 9 weeks. There are some excellent campsites along the river(Rhine ) that have train stations within 5min walk from campsites. They all have good facilities and its only for example 20min on trian from Bingen to Mainz. We pick our camper up from Friedberg about 30min on train from Frankfurt. We go through an Australian company called uk&Europe travel and have done 6timrs previously. If you google them you will be able to get all the information you need. Example we have hired for 9 weeks this year and is costing 7000 Aussie dollar. It just gives you a different choice. Ps the public transport in Germany is exceptional and on time.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
794 posts
291 reviews
2. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Michael, thanks for that unique suggestion. We have never driven a camper (I assume you mean an RV, or a vehicle that you actually sleep in), so probably it would not be a good idea to try this for the first time in a foreign country. But it's good to know that public transport is exceptional.

Barossa Valley...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

There is a website FewoDirekt that shows over 100 holiday apartments and houses in Mainz but it is in German. Maybe just look at some of the properties and see if any are of interest. I don,t know Mainz so am unable to give advice re the location.

Possibly even accommodation with one easy bus or train journey would still be OK for you. I was in a similar position in Munich and found a gorgeous Flat a 10 minute S-Bahn trip from my relatives.

Barossa Valley...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

https:/…p2579202 here is one example

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
794 posts
291 reviews
5. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Thank you, margsch, the example you gave looks very nice. Unfortunately, we don't read German, and it doesn't look like the FewoDirekt website offers translation to English, so it would be difficult to get details.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

If you are from US i think you drive on the same side, if not its really easy and yes i ment a RV. From the depot to Mainz its no more then 1hr and also the roads are outstanding. Its not for everyone but its a great way to see a country. Best of luck. Michael

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

If you download google translate onto your devices it does it automatically. Its the best thing since sliced bread.

Barossa Valley...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Do you have any fluent German speaking friends who could look at this with you?

While the one I showed you doesn,t have a washing machine, the owner says the accommodation is a 15 minute bus ride from the centre of Mainz and the bus stop is very nearby. The property is on the edge of a Forested area. The owner does speak English.

I,ll keep looking for you and see if there is something with a washing machine. I think fewo Direkt allows you to contact the owner

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

fewo-direkt.de is the same as homeaway.com, you get to access the same database of available rental homes from either site, only that homeaway is in English by default, of course.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
10. Re: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct

Contact the local tourist information office, tell them what exactly you are looking for, and listen to their recommendations. Unlike big international booking portals, they really know all those properties in their city. Their website is in German only, unfortunately, but you'll find the contact data: https://www.mainz-tourismus.com/

Reply to: where to stay for a month in Sept-Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted