We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
5 reviews
3 hrs in Mainz Germany

On arrival at Mainz Hfb ,can I use trams just to see the surrounding sites of Mainz? What is the better tram no. to take or just walk around the city center?I got to return to Frankfurt Hbf after 3 hrs. or what is a better way just to feel that i have visited Mainz.

7 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Better don't go all the way to Mainz Hbf but alight from S8 at Mainz Römisches Theater, the first station after the train has crossed the Rhine. It is closer to the oldtown.

Check out this article which describes a walking tour through Mainz: https:/…Walk.Mainz.In.One.Day.html It can be done in 3 hours.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Thanks, great recommendation.

I saw the map of Mainz. Do you think i can just walk to see the tourist sites.Any good recommendation where i should start?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Yes, the major sights are all within easy walking distance from station Römisches Theater.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Another way could be get off at Mainz Hfb and take a tram 50,51,52 from Hauptbahnhof to Schillerplatz 2 stops and start from there. After-all i have a day pass to travel Mainz.Do you think that is a better than the stop at Mainz Römisches Theater ?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

You can do that as well and then walk up to St Stephan church.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

Thanks Oli-6, you given me all the confident to go to Mainz.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
160 reviews
7. Re: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany

I like Oli6's advice. It's what I would have told you. There's a wonderful Baroque church in the pedestrian area. The Cathedral is super. It it's raining and you are medium well dressed, go to the Hyatt and get a glass of local wine or cup of coffee and watch the Rhine flow by. Mainz is a lovely town. Lots of student, a provincial capital with Roman roots.

Reply to: 3 hrs in Mainz Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted